Town halls in Opole Voivodeship
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
Town halls in Opole Voivodeship

collection

Town halls in Opole Voivodeship

6

Town halls in Opole Voivodeship

Town halls of the Opolskie voivodeship, often destroyed by fires and converted, combine artistic features of successive eras. Unfortunately, the only town halls that survived are those whose bodies were shaped in the Middle Ages. Gothic relics are embedded, among other things, in the town hall of Brzesko (Piwnica Świdnicka, fragments of the ground floor walls), town halls in Grodków, Głogówek, Namysłów, Głubczyce.

The Renaissance town hall in Brzeg (1550) is a building uniform in style, without visible transformations. Its characteristic accent is the western façade with an arcaded loggia, dormers, and turrets of the staircase. The town hall in Otmuchów is also a valuable Renaissance historic building (1538), with painted solar clock on the corner (1575). The town hall in Głogówek (1608) is distinguished by a decorative southern gable with fine, Mannerist profile, and sculptures in niches. Renaissance elements are also present in town halls in Paczków (a picturesque tower topped with a parapet, and a cartouche of bishop Promnitz), Namysłów (eastern façade), Grodków (tower).

In the today’s appearance of the town halls, the results of the last conversion, which made them Classicist in style, are most distinctly visible: town hall in Grodków (1840), Namysłów (1839), Paczków (1821–22), Byczyna, Prudnik (1894–96). The conversion has significantly simplified partitions of the façades, introducing a quiet, frugal articulation combined with the removal of older details. In the years 1818–20, a throughout conversion of the town hall in Opole took place, during which the tower collapsed and was then rebuilt until 1936. Town halls erected in whole in the 19th century can be found in Lewin Brzeski, Olesno, Baborów, and also in Strzelce Opolskie (with an earlier tower of the 16th century preserved).

In 1925–1926, after a fire, the town hall in Kluczbork was rebuilt. From the complex of tenement houses surrounding it, only two were reconstructed. After the devastation caused by World War II, town halls in Głogówek, Byczyna, Głubczyce, Olesno were rebuilt to a various extent; the reconstruction of the town hall in Nysa was abandoned.

Sites from that collection