Town hall - Zabytek.pl
Kluczbork, Rynek 1
woj. opolskie, pow. kluczborski, gm. Kluczbork-miasto
Traditionally, it is one of the most important public buildings in the town.
The first wooden town hall was probably erected in the early 15th century. After the fire of 1737, first, two ground-floor chambers of the hall were rebuilt (1738-1741) and the rest of the edifice was reconstructed later in 1752. On the west side of the town hall, 12 huckster houses were added in two rows, in a back-to-back arrangement, referred to as the Twelve Apostles. The fire in 1925 destroyed most of the mid-market development: the town hall and four nearest buildings suffered the least. They were restored in 1926 according to the design of A. Lenz in the Baroque forms. The empty plots of the former houses were turned into a square. Between 2011 and 2012, the town hall was renovated and the marketplace revitalized.
The town hall is located in the east part of the mid-market block, formerly in the centre of the market. Built on the plan of a rectangle, it is elongated along its north-south axis. The two-storey building has a basement and loft and is covered with a mansard roof with dormers. Over the south part of the roof, there is a neo-Baroque, openwork turret clad in sheet metal.
The hall is built of brick and plastered. Inside, there are barrel vaults (basement), cross vaults (ground floor) and modern ceilings. The gable façades display a non-symmetrical composition: the upper levels have rectangular windows and blind windows, the lower ones have ornamental entrance portals to the building. On the south side, there is an entrance to the cellars placed in the neck, above which there are two windows framed with rich architectural and ornamental motifs. The gables are partitioned with pilasters, framed with volutes and topped with triangular pediments. The north gable is more decorative with stuccowork around the windows and in the pediment corners. The east façade is 4-axis in the ground floor and 6-axis above. The windows and doors are set in stone, partially reconstructed frames and stuccowork. The interior layout is two-bay with the corridor on the west side and a passage to the neighbouring building broke out in the north-west section. The building currently houses the Office of the Registrar.
The town hall interior is available within the office working hours; the building is freely available from outsidey.
Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 22-07-2014.
- Chrzanowski T. Sztuka Śląska Opolskiego od średniowiecza do końca XIX wieku, Kraków 1974.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t.7: woj. opolskie, z.4: pow. kluczborski, oprac. T.Chrzanowski, A.Ciechanowski, Warszawa 1966.
- Kreuzburg. Stadt und Kreis in Oberschlesien. Geschichte und Erinnerung, bearb.R.Dette, Duderstadt 1900.
- Materiały z Archiwum WUOZ w Opolu.
Category: town hall
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.203408, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.15125