Town hall, Lewin Brzeski
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Lewin Brzeski was located in the mid-13th century by Bogusz of Pogorzela. In 1333 it received its municipal rights again. In the aftermath of the turbulent historical events, such as wars and fires, the town changes found itself in different administrative borders a number of times. The centre of the mediaeval complex is a rectangular square with perpendicular streets running away in all directions and encircled by a ring street delineated along the ancient fortification line. The frontage buildings in the main market date from the early 19th and 20th century. The mid-market late classicistic town hall is an example of a public building in a small Silesian town.

History

The first town hall was erected around 1500 as a timber-frame structure; the other one was probably built in 1729. Neglected and used as a military storage, it collapsed on 2 June 1799. Its newly built successor burnt down during the fire of the town in December 1832. The existing town hall was built in 1837. It was a relatively small building with two towers. Soon, it proved too small for the needs of the town because it failed to accommodate the municipal court operating in a private building. The first extension was carried out in 1858, another began at the end of the 19th century and was completed in 1908. During the work, the two old turrets were replaced by one, and the roof structure was altered. On 19 November 1908, during the meeting of the town council and with the residents participating, the new building was officially blessed. Until 1945 the building housed a savings institution, the municipal library, the gendarmerie HQ, and the municipal administration in the first floor. In mid-1945 the building was taken over by the Polish administration.

Description

The town hall sits in the middle of the market, encircled with a row of trees and closed with a town square on three sides. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan; it is a two-storey structure with a two-level loft. The east and west façades feature three-level avant-corpses crowned with triangular gables. The main body of the building is covered with a high half-hipped roof and the avant-corpses with a perpendicular gable roof. Over the crossing of the roof ridges, there is a turret domed with a cupola-shaped roof on wooden pillars, topped with a spire with a vane.

The town hall was built of brick and plastered; the majority of the rooms are covered with wooden ceilings. The roof is covered with ceramic roof tiles. The late classicistic façades exhibit modest decoration: a narrow cornice between the floors and plastered bays around the ground floor windows. The west façade (front) is of a 6-axis design, with a biaxial avant-corps in the middle, decorated with three pilasters on massive pedestals - between them, a window and a door. The avant-corpse is topped with a triangular pediment profiled with the town emblem and floral stuccowork. The east façade (back) is also 6-axis, with the centrally set biaxial avant-corps. The side triaxial façades are partitioned by high pilasters and cornices. The interior layout is two-bay, with the corridor along the central axis.

The interior of the town hall is available during the office hours of the Lewin Brzeski Municipal and Commune Office; it is freely accessible from outside.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 17-07-2014.

Bibliografia

  • Eysmontt J., Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne miasta Lewin Brzeski, Wrocław 1968, mps, AZ WUOZ w Opolu, sygn. 615, nr inw. 629
  • Przyborowski F., Selumacka J., Historia miasta Lewina, mps, AZ WUOZ w Opolu, mps. sygn. 74
  • Przyłęcki M., Lewin Brzeski. Dokumentacja konserwatorska do planu porządkowego, Wrocław 1956, s. 6, mps. w AZ WKZ w Opolu, sygn. 97.
  • Banik J., Lewin Brzeski. Monografia miasta, Opole 2005.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, z. 1, red. T. CHRZANOWSKI,  M. KORNECKI, Warszawa 1961.
  • Köhler K., Geschichte der Stadt Löwen, Löwen 1933.
  • Kuske O., Kirchen Chronik von Löwen,  Löwen 1883.
  • Lasończyk I., Zarys historii Lewina Brzeskiego, Opole 1962.
  • Lis M., Górny Śląsk. Zarys dziejów do połowy XX wieku, Opole 2001.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1837
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 1, Lewin Brzeski
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Lewin Brzeski - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area