Single-family house (house no. 35) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Single-family house (house no. 35) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition

Wrocław

photo

The building represents a highly innovative design for a single-family house. It is a fine example of the modernist architecture of Wrocław. The house was built as an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s .

History

The building was erected in 1929; a garage was added before 1945. Having sustained major damage during the war, the house was reconstructed after 1945 on the basis of the original design and was subsequently converted into a two-family house through the addition of a second storey in the southern part of the building. After the year 2010, the façade of the part of the house at 17 Zielonego Dębu street was restored. The design for the house was created by Heinrich Lauterbach, who also contributed to the interior appearance by designing the furniture; Anna Rading designed the curtains for the house, while Juliusa Schütze came up with the design for the garden.

Description

The building forms part of the southern frontage of the Zielonego Dębu street.

It was designed as a single-family home originally intended for a family of four, with the owner of the house envisaged as a high-ranking official or director of a manufacturing plant, with the total living space of the house being 180 square metres.

The outer walls of the building were made of brick, with “S-Schenkel” boards used for the inner partition walls. All the ceilings are flat structures of the “Nepos” type. The flat roof is covered with roofing felt. The façades are covered with plaster and are completely smooth, featuring no partitions whatsoever. The house features modern window joinery.

It is a free-standing building with a basement underneath parts of the structure. It was built on an irregular, roughly L-shaped floor plan. The outline of the house consists of several distinct, angular segments. It was designed as a single-storey building with an elevated staircase leading up to the rooftop terrace. Today, the section of the house at 17a Zielonego Dębu street is a two-storey structure.

A distinctive feature of the building’s interior was the dining room combined with the living room, opening towards the terrace and the garden beyond through a glazed section of the wall shaped as a segment of a cylinder, with the children’s playroom also having a separate access to the terrace. The bathroom was located between the two bedrooms.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - interior tours not available. The housing estate can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 14-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009, pp. 440-456.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zielonego Dębu 17, 17a, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area