Single-family house (house no. 36) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Single-family house (house no. 36) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition

Wrocław

photo

The building represents a highly innovative design for a single-family house. It is a fine example of the modernist architecture of Wrocław. The house was built as an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s.

History

The building was erected in 1929; a garage was added before 1945, while a comprehensive restoration of the façades was carried out after the year 2000. Both the house itself and the garden were designed by Moritz Hadda, who also designed the furniture for the interiors; other contributors to the interior design were Martin Rosenstein, who designed the children’s room, and Anna Rading, who came up with the design for the curtains.

Description

The building forms part of the southern frontage of the Zielonego Dębu street.

It was envisaged as a comfortable, single-family home originally intended for the family of a white-collar worker. With a total surface of 201.82 sq. m., it was the largest single-family house in the entire housing estate.

The outer walls are made of brick. The house features flat, double ceilings (Brandt ceilings) made of reinforced concrete. The flat roof is covered with roofing felt. The façades are covered with plaster and are completely smooth, featuring no partitions whatsoever. The house features modern window joinery.

It is a free-standing building designed on an irregular plan, with a basement underneath parts of the structure, its overall outline being angular in shape and consisting of several distinct sections. The house was designed as a single-storey structure with a semicircular avant-corps positioned on the axis of the south-western façade, overlooking the garden. The north-eastern part of the building features a second storey with a single guest room and a staircase leading up to the rooftop terrace.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - interior tours not available. The housing estate can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 14-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009, pp. 458-466.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zielonego Dębu 19, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area