Semi-detached house – house no. 26-27, part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Semi-detached house – house no. 26-27, part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition

Wrocław

photo

The building represents a highly innovative design for a semi-detached house with garages, representing a high accommodation standard. It is a fine example of the modernist architecture of Wrocław. The house was built as an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s .

History

The building was erected in 1929; the garages adjoining the house to the south were added before 1945. In 2013, the house underwent comprehensive renovation works. The design for the house was drawn up by Theodor Effenberger, while the interiors (or at least the ground floor section of the house no. 27) were designed by Ulrich Stein. The design for the accompanying garden is the work of Paul Hatt.

Description

The house at 11-13 Edwarda Dembowskiego street forms part of the south-western frontage thereof.

The building represents a highly innovative design for a semi-detached house with garages, representing a high accommodation standard; the surface area of both apartments is 185 square metres each.

The outer walls, made using the so-called “Leipziger technique”, are positioned on sturdy foundations; the façades of the house are covered with textured plaster. Inside, the house features hollow partition walls made of cement boards. The flat ceilings (the so-called Ackermann ceilings) are constructed using breeze blocks made from bottom ash aggregate. The building features a flat roof with a wooden truss, covered with roofing felt (referred to as “Pappolina” in the design documentation). The original window joinery has been replaced with modern items, with both wooden double glazed windows and PVC windows being used.

The building is a free-standing, two-storey structure with a basement, covered with a flat roof. It was erected on an irregular floor plan and features a complex overall shape, consisting of two offset cuboid sections linked with a lower, single-storey connecting section containing garages and featuring a roof terrace. The house also features additional terraces on the ground floor level.

The building itself was divided into a pair of two-storey apartments featuring an identical interior layout. The design provided for the drawing room and the accompanying amenities to be placed on the ground floor, with the bedrooms and bathrooms on the first floor. During the postwar period, however, the interiors have been subdivided so that they now formed four separate apartments.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - interior tours not available. The housing estate can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 03-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009, pp. 358-374.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Edwarda Dembowskiego 11, 13, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area