Dovecote in the complex of the Szuster palace, Warszawa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Dovecote in the complex of the Szuster palace

Warszawa

photo

The pavilion constitutes part of the historical complex which is what remained of the 18th century palace and park complex created for Izabela Lubomirska nee Czartoryska and converted in 19th century for the subsequent owners. It is evidence of the former sentimental landscape complex which was included in the city area at a later time. The pavilion is an example of park building with neo-Gothic features.

History

The Dovecote, also called “Gothic tower”, came into being before 1780 as a garden pavilion of a sentimental residence located in the suburbs of Warsaw. The complex was created in the years 1771-1785 for Izabela Lubomirska nee Czartoryska in the area of gradually extended estate of Mokotów. The first architect employed for that purpose was Efraim Schroeger, and from 1773 - also Szymon Bogumił Zug. The facility in consideration was one of the two gate buildings designed by Zug, located within the wall running along the western border of the property. It was situated at the southern driveway leading to a manor farm. Its northern counterpart was Flemish Gloriette with an entrance to the palace. The buildings are the only surviving park pavilions out of many such facilities created at that time in various styles and distributed across the complex. The building has the form of a slender, quadrangular tower with Gothic features. On its ground storey, there was a “doorkeeper flat”, and in the upper one - a dovecote. Originally, in the eastern façade, below the rows of holes for doves, there was a little balcony. On the second storey, both from the side of the garden and from the road, there were clocks. From the south, the ground floor was adjoined by a small room, and from the north - a gate driveway. In the years 1824-25, the whole complex was transformed to the order of the new owner, Anna Potocka-Wąsowicz, according to a design by Henryk Marconi. It is likely that at that time, wooden stairs from the side of the garden, leading to the entrance replacing the balcony on the first floor, came into being. In 1845, large part of the property was bought by a burgher and famous lithographer - Franciszek Szuster. In the next years, the property was re-composed and partially partitioned. Along the line of the walls, single-storey houses for summer guests were built, adjoining the Dovecote building from both sides. As a result of the fights during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 in the Mokotów District, the building suffered damage. In 1949, it was renovated and covered with a roof.

Description

Today, the bricked and plastered building is situated on a pavement, on the eastern side of Puławska Street, at the exit of Morskie Oko Street. It is located within a small distance from the south-western border of the Promenada - Morskie Oko park which, in part, constitutes remains of a former 18th-century landscape complex. The building is comprised of a square body of the high tower and the gate driveway topped with a segmental arch, on its northern side. The tower is covered with a high, spiked tented roof with concave planes and four similar pinnacle in the corners. These slender elements are partially covered with sheet metal and wood shingles. Few small windows, some of which are topped with pointed arches, are arranged asymmetrically. From the park, the wall of the tower is decorated by rows of small panels with semicircular arches, a sign of the original openings intended for doves. The bottom, somewhat wider storey of the building, houses currently a watchmaker workshop with an entrance from the north. The cornice over this storey is clad with wood shingles, just as the gate. Over the entrance to the workshop, there is a clock which has chimed “March of Mokotów”, a song created during the Warsaw Uprising, since 1969. The information about the authors of the song is presented on a stone plaque hanging on the front façade of the buttressed gate pier.

The monument is accessible.

compiled by Małgorzata Laskowska-Adamowicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warszawa, 24-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Karta Ewidencyjna, Glorieta Flamandzka, oprac. Adam Konopacki, Warszawa 1986 r., Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa
  • Ewidencja parku Promenada przy pałacu Szustrów w Warszawie oprac. Hanna Spychaj, Joanna Zawadzka-Roman, Warszawa 1984, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa
  • Kwiatkowski M., Szymon Bogumił Zug, architekt polskiego oświecenia, Warszawa 1971
  • Leśniakowska M., Architektura w Warszawie, Warszawa 1998, s. 213
  • Lorentz S., Efraim Szreger Architekt polski XVIII wieku, Warszawa 1986
  • Polanowska J., Mokotów - ogród krajobrazowy Izabelli Lubomirskiej dedykowany Jean- Jacques Rousseau , Biuletyn Historii Sztuki, 2013, nr 3, s. 437-485
  • Świątek T. W., Mokotów poprzez wieki , Warszawa 2009
  • Zakrzewska M., Mokotów. Pałacyk i założenie ogrodowe, „Kwartalnik Architektury i Urbanistyki", 1962, nr 1, s. 45-69

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1780 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Puławska 59, Warszawa
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district Warszawa, commune Warszawa
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area