Burgrave House in the Szuster palace complex, Warszawa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Burgrave House in the Szuster palace complex

Warszawa

photo

The building forms an outbuilding of the palace included in a historical complex constituting remains of the 18th-century suburban residence constructed for Izabela Lubomirska nee Czartoryska, transformed in the 19th century for the next owners. It is evidence of the former buildings of the landscape complex on which eminent architects worked.

History

The residence in the Mokotów district was created in the years 1771-1785 for duchess Izabela Lumobirska nee Czartoryska within the Mokotów estate which was gradually extended. The first architect employed for that purpose was Efraim Schroeger who designed the palace and the regular garden with a manor farm located above the escarpment. The name of the architect had been until recently associated with the creation of the Burgrave House. Since approx. 1773, also Szymon Bogumił Zug had worked for the well-educated founder. At present, the facility that was probably built approx. in 1780 is attributed to him. The building was erected in the south-western corner of the palace, with which it was connected by a semi-circular wall enclosing a utility yard. It was a one-storey building constructed on a rectangular floor plan, with five-axial, longer façades partitioned with pilasters. On its flat roof, a terrace surrounded by balustrades was planned. With this pavilion added to the palace, the latter, formerly symmetrical, was provided with an irregular, Romantic character. In the years 1824-25, some of the buildings of the complex were transformed to the order of the new owner, Anna Potocka-Wąsowicz, according to a design by Henryk Marconi. The then sights show the Burgrave House with a low roof and without the balustrade. In 1845, large part of the property was bought by a burgher and famous lithographer - Franciszek Szuster - who transformed the residence in stages. In the years 1861-65, the House was extended upwards and the building was provided with Renaissance Revival features. As a result of the fights during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, it suffered substantial damage. It was finally reconstructed, along with the palace, in the years 1962-65 according to a design by Jerzy Brabander.

Description

The brick, plastered building is located to the south-west of the Szuster palace, on the northern side of Morskie Oko Street which once led from a utility gate to the manor farm. The facility is neo-Renaissance in style, built on a rectangular floor plan, and embedded in the inclined slope of the escarpment. Therefore, from the south and west, it features two-storey façades, while the other two façades, from the side of the hill, are one-storeyed, with a high plinth. The building is topped with a flat hip roof clad in sheet metal, with a belvedere with baluster balustrades. The bottom storey of the façade, separated by a profiled cornice, is decorated with strip rustication. Rectangular windows on the ground floor are at a level slightly below the ground level from the side of the escarpment hill. In the significantly higher first storey, windows are embraced by decorative surrounds with round arch top sections. In both longer façades, three rectangular window openings of porte-fenetre type were placed. Two entrances to the building are located in its lower part, from the south. There is a window between them, and on the extreme axes - panels. At the north-eastern corner, the building is adjoined by a semi-circular wall topped with crenellations, connecting the Burgrave House with the palace. In the middle section of the wall, there is a rectangular entrance opening flanked by small panels with pointed-arch top sections. Wall decoration is reminiscent of the neo-Gothic style of the palace. Behind the wall and the outbuilding, there is a small yard with a car park today.

The monument is accessible.

compield by Małgorzata Laskowska-Adamowicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warszawa, 05-10-2015.

Bibliography

  • Karta Ewidencyjna, Domek Burgrabiego, oprac. Adam Konopacki, Warszawa 1986 r., Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa
  • Ewidencja parku Promenada przy pałacu Szustrów w Warszawie oprac. Hanna Spychaj, Joanna Zawadzka-Roman, Warszawa 1984, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa
  • Kwiatkowski M., Szymon Bogumił Zug architekt polskiego oświecenia, Warszawa 1971
  • Leśniakowska M., Architektura w Warszawie, Warszawa 1998, s. 213
  • Lorentz S., Efraim Szreger Architekt polski XVIII wieku, Warszawa 1986
  • Polanowska J., Mokotów - ogród krajobrazowy Izabelli Lubomirskiej dedykowany Jean- Jacques Rousseau, Biuletyn Historii Sztuki, 2013, nr 3, s. 437-485
  • Świątek T. W., Mokotów poprzez wieki , Warszawa 2009
  • Świątek T. W., Śladami mieszkańców dawnej Warszawy, Warszawa 1998
  • Zakrzewska M., Mokotów. Pałacyk i założenie ogrodowe, „Kwartalnik Architektury i Urbanistyki", 1962, nr 1, s. 45-69

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1780 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Morskie Oko 2, Warszawa
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district Warszawa, commune Warszawa
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area