Palace, Krasków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Baroque palace surrounded by matching landscape park, with former manor farm buildings located in the immediate vicinity.

History

  • 15th/16th century - original, moated manor house
  • second half of the 16th century - redesign in the Renaissance style
  • early 17th c.— alteration works
  • 1633-1641 - destruction and reconstruction
  • 1746 — redesign in the Late Baroque style (the palace attains its current form)
  • 1903 — renovation of the façade
  • after 1945 - devastation
  • 1992-1996 - reconstruction
Description

The palace is located in the western part of the village, alongside the road leading from Marcinowice to Domanice.

Initially designed as a moated manor house, the building came into being at the turn of the 16th century. In the second half of the 16th century, the manor house was redesigned in the Renaissance style. The mansion was inhabited by the members of the von Seidlitz, von Tschirn and von Nimptsch families, followed once again by the von Seidlitz family who lived there until the year 1600. In the early 17th century, the palace was redesigned once again. Following its destruction during the Thirty Years’ War, the palace was reconstructed. In 1699, the entire manor was acquired by Hans Heinrich III von Hochberg from Roztoka, who became the owner thereof through an advantageous marriage with Anna Elizabeth von Zeidlitz, who had held all the rights to the land before becoming his wife. In 1732, count von Hochberg sold the Krasków manor to Hans Albrecht von Zedlitz und Leipe. In 1746, the palace, damaged by fire once again, was redesigned in the Late Baroque style at the request of the erstwhile owner of the manor, David Siegmund von Zedlitz und Leipe. It was at that point that the palace attained the appearance which can be admired to this day. In 1848, the manor was acquired by Georg Gustav Rudolf von Salisch. It was at that point that the Baroque gardens which surrounded the palace were transformed into a landscape park. In 1903, the façade of the palace was restored. The manor remained in the hands of the von Salisch family until the end of World War 2. The manor house has been in the state of gradual decay since 1945, and it was only in 1992-1996 that the renovation works have begun in earnest. Today, the palace serves as a hotel.

It is a two-storey structure designed on a square floor plan, featuring a tall semi-basement level and a mansard roof. The interior follows a three-bay layout. Remnants of the earlier, Renaissance-era manor house in the form of door frames and vaulted ceilings with pronounced groins can still be seen in the basement. W palace itself features a central vestibule with a representational staircase. Stucco decorations in the form of ornamental framing grace the underside of its vaulted ceiling - a barrel-type structure with lunettes. Vaulted ceilings of the barrel type (with lunettes) as well as flat ceilings with crown mouldings can still be admired on the ground floor level. Late Baroque fireplace surrounds continue to lend the interiors of the palace an atmosphere of grace and dignity.

The façades of the palace are partitioned with giant order pilasters, with paired pilasters used for the corners of the structure. A pseudo-avant-corps projects from the front façade, featuring a profusion of sculpted decorations centred around a vanitas theme, attributed to the workshop of the renowned sculptor A.G. Hoffman from Świdnica. The avant-corps decorations comprise a portal surmounted by a balcony and flanked by atlantes; the balcony balustrade is an ornate affair, adorned with free-standing sculptures. Above the balcony, a pair of sculpted angels supports the heraldic cartouche of the von Zedlitz noble family. Above the avant-corps rises a lavishly decorated wall dormer with a clock, with both the balustrade beneath and the top section of the dormer itself being adorned with sculpted figures.

The palace is surrounded by a landscape park designed by Piotr Lenné in 1848 and replacing an earlier, Baroque garden. Both the features of the surrounding terrain and the presence of watercourses (the Bystrzyca river and the nearby pond) played a significant role in the design of the park. The trees which grace the park are between 150 and 200 years old, with the most notable species being spruce, lime, hornbeam, maple, chestnut and oak. The north-western part of the park flows seamlessly into a landscaped area covering the nearby meadows.

North-west of the palace there is an alley lined with lime trees, connecting the manor house complex with the site of the now-defunct bridge which had once spanned the Bystrzyca river. The total length of the alley is about 120 metres. The alley was established at the time when the entire complex was being extended and redesigned in the Baroque style. It consists of a triple line of small-leaved lime trees planted alongside the road which runs along the ridge of the embankment; the trees themselves are believed to be about 300 years old by now.

Private property (hotel and offices of the Krasków Forum for the Unification of European Art and Culture). The building may be seen from the outside.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-01-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Ewidencja parku w Kraskowie, M.Kujawa, H.Grad, 1976, typescript in the archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Office in Wrocław, file no. 2622

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: przełom XV/XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Krasków
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Marcinowice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area