Parish Church of St Nicolas, currently Greek Catholic tserkva of St Nicolas - Zabytek.pl
woj. pomorskie, pow. nowodworski, gm. Nowy Dwór Gdański-obszar wiejski
The name of the village (Thuenhain, in the next centuries Tiegenhagen) and a parish priest were first mentioned back in 1349 in the chartering document of the neighbouring village Tuja. The village of Żelichowo was chartered in 1352, under the law of Chełmno (60 voloks of land, with 4 voloks for the parish priest). The construction of the church dates back to the mid-14th century. The dedication of the church was determined back then as well. In 1574-1629, the church remained in the hands of Protestants. According to inspection reports, between 1637 and 1647, the church was damaged by a flood, which resulted in demolition of part of its walls. They were replaced by a new half-timbered structure, and the flooring was elevated. In 1687, new wooden storeys of the tower were erected, and its medieval ground floor was reinforced and covered with brick. During the next centuries, the tower underwent repeated renovations (last time in 1912). It was demolished in 1945 for strategic reasons. After the war, the church served Catholic and Greek Catholic communities. Since 2002, as tserkva of St Nicholas, it has belonged to a Greek Catholic parish and has constituted an important centre for people of Ukrainian descent who were resettled in Żuławy as part of the “Vistula” campaign. Since 2008, the church has undergone several stages of renovation; now, after repairing the roof and drying and insulating of foundations, the half-timbered walls are being renovated and the windows are being replaced.
The church is oriented and situated on the west side of the road from Nowy Dwór Gdański to Segna, in the Tuga river meander, on the left river bank. By the church, there is a former parish graveyard with single gravestones in its north-eastern part. It is a Gothic and Baroque church, with its eastern part (two bays) being the older one. The church was erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with a tower on a square floor plan to the west and annexes of a sacristy and a porch joined together to the south. The structure of the church is non-uniform; the main body is covered with a tall gable roof, the tower is covered with a tripartite gable roof, and the annex is covered with a gable roof, perpendicular to the main roof. The eastern bay of the church is made of brick, while the other parts of the main body walls are frame structures with brick infills. The tower is made of brick. The roof truss, of king post type, is made of wood. The roof of the main body and the annex is clad in pantiles, and the roof of the tower - in roofing paper. The ceiling is wooden, planked, and features a crown moulding. The eastern façade has two axes and a six-axial stepped gable. Apart from pointed-arch windows in three-stepped splayed reveals, there are also blind windows with segmental arches. The area of the gable is embellished with narrow plastered blind windows vaulted with arch segments. On the steps of the gable, there are pier-like pinnacles topped with gable roofs. The southern façade has six axes and two parts. In two axes from the east, there is a brick face and two-stepped buttresses. The other axes feature half-timbered walls. The beams of the timber frame are arranged in a truss, reinforced with raking shores in the western part. In the brick plinth area, there is a row of rocks. The shapes of window openings are varied; in the eastern part they are segment-headed, while the rest of window openings are rectangular. The tower is enclosed with single-stepped buttresses, with a separated plinth area. From the west, there is a wide pointed-arch portal with a stepped splayed window reveal. From the south and the north, there are pointed-arch low blind windows with small rectangular window openings. The interior is aisleless, topped with a Baroque polichrome ceiling with crown mouldings. The fittings, e.g. altars (the main altar and two side altars), the pulpit, the baptismal font, pews for believers and the organ gallery with relics of a pipe organ casing, date back mainly to the 18th century.
Limited access to the historical building. Viewing of the interior is only possible by prior arrangement with the parish office.
compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 21-09-2015.
- Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919.
- Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstdenkmäler West- und Ostpreuβen, bearb. von M. Antoni, München-Berlin 1993.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_22_BK.39865, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_22_BK.283412