Castle, Wyszyna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The ruins are the remnants of one of the Greater Poland roundel castles erected with nobility funds in the 16th century, located at lowlands and enclosed with an artificial moat and floodbanks. A special feature of this historical monuments were its residential functions hidden behind its defence costume the choice of which stemmed rather from sentimental tastes of the founders than from an actual need of its defence. The architectural relics preserved, together with the surrounding vegetation and water, provide a highly positive aesthetic experience.

History

The castle in Wyszyna was erected around 1556 by the Grodziecki family. In the 18th century, it was owned by the Gurowski family. During the Bar Confederation, a unit of the Russian army plundered the castle and blew up one of its wings. It was used until the 19th century as a residence of a stronghold origin, but then it fell into ultimate ruin. The elements preserved to this day are: one of the towers, a residential wing, and fragments of the complex uncovered in May 1964 as a result of architectural studies.

Description

The castle is located at originally wooded and marshy lowlands, at a small hill enclosed with an artificially shaped moat and floodbanks. The building was made of brick on a quadrangle plan sized 64 x 55 metres, along a longitudinal axis directed to the north-west and south-east. There were two one-bay residential buildings situated by the shorter sides of the castle, covered with thatched roofs and connected by a third, narrower building serving as a connector with an avant-corps which was added by its south-western façade. The courtyard formed by the wings and the connector from the south-eastern side were closed with a curtain wall with a gatehouse, next to which a guardhouse was situated. The castle was equipped with six fortified towers four of which were octagonal, decorated with attics, and situated at the gate façade with an entrance to the courtyard. The two remaining ones were located at the opposite façade, were five-storey and covered with tented roofs. On the ground floor, the fortified towers had embrasures which allowed for flank fire. Similar embrasures were probably also situated over the residential wings and on their ground floor, as well as in the avant-corps of the building connecting the castle’s wings.

The moats surrounding the castle were filled with water from a nearby pond and probably fortified with a palisade from the inside.

The remains of the original castle which have been preserved to this day are a residential building as a remains of one of the castle’s wings and two octagonal fortified towers connected with a 2-metre-high wall, the southern one of which has been preserved up to the crown of the walls of the fourth storey.

The one-storey residential building was made of brick with the use of fieldstone in the lower sections with cellars and a hallway located on an axis featuring barrel vaulting, and covered with a gable roof. The southern fortified tower has been preserved up to the first storey whose ground floor has a dome-shaped ceiling where an embrasure was located. Between the second and the third storey, the south-eastern fortified tower is decorated with a string course with a covered ground floor which can be entered from the inner courtyard of the castle.

The historical monument is accessible to visitors.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 14-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Guerquin Bohdan, Zamki w Polsce, Warszawa 1974, s. 312.
  • Jakimowicz Teresa, Architektura świecka w Wielkopolsce w latach 1540 do 1630 w: Studia nad renesansem w Wielkopolsce, w: Prace Komisji Historii Sztuki PTPN, T. 8, z. 3, Poznań 1970.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. 5, Woj. wielkopolskie, red. Ruszczyńska Teresa, Sławska Aniela, z. 26, Pow. turecki, opr. Kwiczała Michalina, Warszawa 1959, s. 27.
  • Olejnik Karol, Grody i zamki w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 1993, s. 241-243.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 408.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: 1556 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wyszyna
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district turecki, commune Władysławów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area