Multi-family, gallery-type tenement house (house no. 1) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Multi-family, gallery-type tenement house (house no. 1) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition

Wrocław

photo

The building represents a highly innovative design for a functional and economical multi-family house. It is a fine example of the modernist architecture of Wrocław. The house was built as an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s .

History

The building was erected in 1929, with a part of the ground floor level of the northern section of the building adapted for residential purposes in 1933. The design was the work of Paul Heim and Albert Kempter, while Erich Vergin was responsible for creating the accompanying garden.

Description

The building completes the compositional layout of the south-western part of the housing estate, its gable facing Tramwajowa street.

It was designed as a multi-family house with 12 apartments with the surface area of 48 sq. m. and 6 apartments with the surface area of 60 sq. m., available in six different variants in total.

The outer walls are made of reinforced concrete, with the empty spaces within the frame filled with cinder bricks. The surface of the walls is covered with smooth cement-lime plaster, while the inner walls are built using the “Prüss” and “Schugk” techniques as well as the “Heraklith” cinder boards. The building features flat ceilings made of brick supported by steel structures. The flat roof of the building is clad with bituminous paper. The entrance door is a modern item made of metal; some of the original windows have been replaced with PVC ones, designed to resemble the original design.

The building was designed as a free-standing structure, built on an elongated rectangular plan, on the north-south axis. The house is a cuboid structure with a compact, austere shape. It is a three-storey structure with a semi-basement. The longer façades feature a regular arrangement of windows, with external galleries running alongside all three residential levels on the western side of the structure. A single-storey annex designed on a semicircular plan, originally intended as a tram stop and kiosk where newspapers and milk could be purchased, adjoins the southern façade of the building. Today, the annex remains empty.

Access to individual storeys is facilitated by a single, central staircase connecting the walkways on the western side, from which the individual apartments could be accessed.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - interior tours not available. The housing estate can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 06-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009, pp. 286-292.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Tramwajowa 2, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area