Tenement house for eight families, with multiple staircases (house no. 3-6) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition, Wrocław
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Tenement house for eight families, with multiple staircases (house no. 3-6) – part of the Living and Work Space (Wohnung und Werkraum Ausstellung, WuWA) exhibition

Wrocław

photo

The building represents a highly innovative design for a multi-family house with apartments taking up entire storeys and exhibiting numerous features of individual homes. It is a fine example of the modernist architecture of Wrocław. The house was built as an element of the model, experimental housing estate accompanying the WuWA exhibition, which is an excellent example of the implementation of modern trends in European urban planning and architecture of the 1920s .

History

The building was erected in 1929. The design for the structure was created by Gustav Wolf, while the individual apartments were designed by the following individuals or institutions: no. 3, ground floor - Ulrich Stein; no. 3, first floor - Albert Müller; no. 4, ground floor - Rudolf Mestel; no. 5, ground floor - Handwerker- und Kunstgewerbeschule; no. 6, ground floor - Deutsche Hausratwerkstätten G.m.b.H; the garden was designed by Erich Vergin.

Description

The building’s architecture is simple and restrained, its individual, single-storey apartments designed as single-family residential units with certain features not unlike those of a detached house. Each of the apartments has a separate entrance, basement and stairs. The building contains 8 apartments in total - 4 with a living space of 42 sq. m., 1 with a living space of 60 sq. m. and 1 with a living space of 70 sq. m.

The walls of the basements are made of brick, while those of the ground floor and first floor level are a timber-frame structure covered on both sides with “Heraklith” particle boards, which were also used for the interior partition walls. The façades feature a smooth plaster finish. The house features flat wooden beamed ceilings throughout, with a “Phönix” ceiling - a massive structure based on concrete beams - used for the basement level. The house has a flat roof with the so-called “Tropical” cladding attached to a weatherboard base. The building was constructed using prefabricated components.

It is situated in parallel to Tramwajowa street. The house was designed as a free-standing building based on an elongated rectangular plan, with the longer façades of its cuboid structure facing the south and the north respectively. It is a two-storey structure with eight staircases, with each apartment equipped with a separate entrance. Entrances to four of the apartments are positioned on the axis of the northern façade, with the rest of the apartments accessible by way of a pair of entrances located in the shorter façades (two per each side).

The apartments on individual floors are positioned directly above one another. There was also the option to merge neighbouring apartments, both horizontally and vertically. The interior layout called for the residential spaces and bedrooms to be located in the south-facing part of the building, with the windows of the kitchens, bathrooms and staircases facing the north.

Limited access to the historic building. Private property - interior tours not available. The housing estate can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 06-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Urbanik J., Wrocławska wystawa Werkbundu WUWA 1929-2009, Wrocław 2009, pp. 304-310.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1929 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Tramwajowa 2a, Wrocław
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Wrocław, commune Wrocław
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area