Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic Filial Church of St Stanislaus the Bishop and Martyr, Węgorzewo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic Filial Church of St Stanislaus the Bishop and Martyr

Węgorzewo

photo

The church is an interesting example of an 18th-century ecclesiastical building having a timber-frame structure; this type of architecture is typical for the borderland between Greater Poland and Pomerania. It is a valuable testimony to the multicultural heritage of Greater Poland.

History

Węgorzewo (“Węgorzewo Szczecineckie” until 2005) used to be a nobility-owned village. The first church in the village was probably built in 1621. The timber-framed church building which has survived to this day was erected in 1791, on the same site as the previous church. It was founded by the contemporary owners of the village — the Wanger family. In 1945, the building was taken over by the Catholic Church; since then, it has functioned as a filial church of the Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lotyń.

The church was renovated a number of times. For instance, the tower was renovated in 1970; in the years 1984-1985, the galleries and a number of wooden posts were dismantled; inside, new walls were constructed by the existing interior walls; an old entrance in the tower was walled up; and a new door opening was made on the east side. Despite renovations, the building remains in poor condition. The wall base and the wooden structural components of the walls are visibly damaged. The plaster peeled off in many places and the roof covering is leaky. The wall enclosing the church yard is damaged.

Description

The church is situated in the south-western part of Węgorzewo, by a local road. Originally, the chancel faced the east, currently — the west. The church is surrounded by a former graveyard enclosed with a brick and stone wall with wicket gates on the south and east sides.

The aisleless church has a rectangular floor plan; it terminates in a flat wall on the east side. The tower, having a nearly square floor plan, with a porch at the ground floor level, is located on the west side of the church. The nave is covered with a tall gable roof with a hip section on the east side. The dominant element of the building is the tall tower, partially merged with the body of the nave. The top storey of the tower is much narrower. The tower is covered with a roof with a spire, crowned with a flag with the date “1791”.

The church has a timber-frame structure with brick and clay infill, resting on a brick wall base. The exterior panels and the secondary interior walls, added at a later date, are covered with plaster. The nave and the lower planes of the tower roof are covered with slate; the tower roof and the spire are covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a wooden ceiling with a board counter ceiling.

The design of the exterior walls is based on the contrast between the dark timber frame and the plastered infill, painted white (currently, the plaster is severely damaged). The doors and windows are rectangular.

The interior of the church, fully modernised, is covered with a wooden ceiling with a board counter-ceiling resting on the walls and wooden posts.

The original fittings of the church which have been preserved to this day include the main altar, assembled from Late-Baroque elements (originally combining the functions of an altar and a pulpit), and a baptismal font from 1626, currently used as an altar base.

The church may be visited from the outside and — by prior arrangement — also inside.

More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Koszalin-Kołobrzeg Diocese: www.koszalin.opoka.org.pl

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 06-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, Poznań 2001, s. 180.
  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 274.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1791 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Węgorzewo
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district złotowski, commune Okonek - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area