Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish church, Trzebiechów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish church

Trzebiechów

photo

A temple built in 1823 in the Neo-Classicist style. A single-nave church was erected on a rectangular floor plan and is characterised by diversified architectural detail. The temple plays a vital role in the Zielona Góra poviat, both in material and spiritual terms.

History

The first mention of the church in Trzebiechów dates back to 1308. In the Middle Ages it was a wooden church, which belonged to the diocese of Poznań until the Reformation. In 1654, in place of the wooden one, a wattle-and-daub church was erected to serve the local Luterans. The current church is dated 1823. It was erected in the Neo-Classicist style, upon initiative of Duke Heinrich von Reuss - an owner of the property. The design was prepared in Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s studio. The church was designed by his student, Johan Gottlieb Schlüter. 1739 believers belonged to the church in Trzebiechów in 1901 and the parish was subordinate to the diocese of Sulechów. The church belonged to the Protestants until 1945. Following World War II the church was relinquished to the Catholics. The temple in Trzebiechów became a filial church of the Klenica parish. In 1984 the construction of a parish hall began and after its completion, in 1987, a new independent Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish was founded. Maintenance and repairs were carried out in the church in the post-war period. In the 1980s external façade was renovated through covering the walls with new plasterwork of cement and lime. New concrete floors were laid inside and marble floors were installed in a presbytery. Ceramic tiles were replaced with galvanized sheet metal on the roof. In 1998 window woodwork was replaced with joinery with stained glass windows. The temple is one of the tourist attractions of the Trzebiechów commune.

Description

It is located in the southern part of the town. The church was erected along the residential complex axis. This axis is an important element of the Baroque layout of the town. The church is made of brick, with plastered walls, erected on a rectangular floor plan measuring 30 by 15 metres. A square, three-storey tower, with a side length of 9 m, adjoins the north façade. The tower is covered with a flattened, cupola-like tented roof. The temple’s corpus is topped with a gable roof covered with galvanized sheet metal. The main entrance to the temple, preceded by stairs, is located on the tower’s ground floor. The entrance with semicircular arches terminates in a simple portal. The entrance opening is flanked by pilasters bearing a triangular pediment. A rectangular niche with an inscription is located over the portal. Two-wing door woodwork from the times of construction. Two additional entrance openings on the east and west façades. The second storey of the tower is pierced by single rectangular window openings, terminating in pilasters bearing simple cornices. The tower’s third storey includes three windows on each side with semicircular arches, separated by pilasters. Gables of particular façades of the tower are crowned with triangular pediments. Four bells cast in bronze are suspended on the tower’s last storey.

Two-storey façades of a single-nave temple are separated from one another by a wide strip of cornice. East and west façade have a seven-axis partition, while south façade has a five-axis partition. Entrances to the temple, terminated in pilasters, are located on extreme axes on east and west façades. Round windows, terminating in profiled frames, are located above entrance openings. Square window openings are located on remaining ground floor axes on the east and west façade. They are surmounted with large windows with semicircular arches. Window arches terminating in a profiled frame rest on a profiled cornice linking particular openings. The interior of the temple is covered with a ceiling, braced with galleries supported by wooden pillars. The church’s original fittings include, among others: a painting on canvas from the late 18th century depicting the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (transferred from a church in Klenica), a painting on canvas presenting a young Mary, St Anne and Joachim from the second half of the 18th century (transferred from the former palace chapel in Trzebiechów), organ with a pipe organ casing and benches on galleries.

The church is the property of the religious community. The church celebrates regular masses. The structure is open to the public.

Compiled by Krzysztof Słowiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 08-07-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 1, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 112-114.
  • Garbacz K., Szlakiem zabytkowych miast, przewodnik po południowej części województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2005, s. 41-42.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 392.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki województwa zielonogórskiego, Zielona Góra 1987, s. 209.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół parafialny p.w. Wniebowzięcia NMP, oprac. Bielinis-Kopeć B., 1995, Archiwum Lubuskiego Wojewódzkiego Konserwatora Zabytków w Zielonej Górze.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1823
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Aleja Lipowa 31, Trzebiechów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district zielonogórski, commune Trzebiechów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area