Spa complex, currently: Social Welfare Home, Trzebiechów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Spa complex, currently: Social Welfare Home



The former spa complex in Trzebiechów is one of the most valuable architectural monuments in the Lubusz region and one of the most important works by Henry van de Velde, the leading artist and theoretician of Art Nouveau architecture.


The physiotherapy and dietary health complex was erected in the years 1902-1904 on the initiative of duchess Maria Aleksandra von Reuss. The design of the complex of buildings with a park was created by architect Max Schündler from Zwickau. The décor and fittings of individual facilities were created by the leading Art Nouveau artist and theoretician - Henry van de Velde. An exclusive spa, commissioned in 1905, operated only to 1908. Then, in the years 1909-1919, in the buildings of the former spa, a holiday house was arranged. In 1920, the complex was taken over by district authorities that arranged a public TB health resort there. This function was maintained also after World War II, until 1965. Another stage consisted in arranging, in the complex in Trzebiechów, a ward for neurotic disorder patients and convalescents of the Voivodeship Specialist Hospital in Zielona Góra. From 1974, there is a Social Welfare Home in the former spa complex. After it was determined in 2003 that the author of the interior décor of the spa in Trzebiechów was Henry van de Velde, surveys and conservations works were commenced at the complex. Until 2015, nearly 20 investments were completed, including conservation and restoration works on the painted decorations in the interiors, renovation of the window and door woodwork, and renovation of roofs.


The former spa is located in the centre of the village, on the southern side of a residential complex. Its area is about 2.5 ha. Its architecture is neo-Renaisannce in style (of North German type), while the décor and fittings represent the style of Art Nouveau. A dominant feature of the complex is constituted by the spa building, situated in the centre. It is a two-storey facility build on an irregular floor plan, with numerous annexes and terraces. Its body is partitioned with annexes, covered with a high-sloped roof with dormers. The roof is clad in tiles. The brick façades are asymmetrical and enriched with gables framed in curved volutes. The building is connected by a connecting section with the so-called doctor’s house, an administrative and residential facility located in the north-eastern corner of the complex. The house is also inspired by Historicism, underscored by brick façades and a high roof clad in tiles. The single storey connector section, erected on a post-and-beam structure and filled with brick, features large windows and multi-pitched roofs. Along the northern border of the site, there are two residential buildings one of which is used as a gatehouse. In the north-western part of the complex, there are residential and utility facilities, i.e. garage with a flat, a shelter, a carpentry shop, and a workshop. To the west from the main building, there is a former bowling alley, currently used as a morgue. Façades of the buildings are faced with red brick, decorated with curved gables, and covered with sloped roofs clad in tiles. The buildings are arranged around a generally accessible yard. The area of the complex is enclosed by a brick wall with decorative, concave span profiles, from the west, north, and east. The main entrance is located in the northern part and leads through a wide two-leaf gate with metal openwork leafs. The park, with an area of 1.09 ha, stretches in the southern part of the complex. Dominant species of trees present there are deciduous. The composition is based on strolling paths, running freely.

The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 19-08-2015.


  • Bielinis-Kopeć B., Markowski D., Wystrój wnętrz dawnego sanatorium w Trzebiechowie. Dzieło Henry’ego van de Velde. Stan badań i prac konserwatorskich w latach 2004-2005, „Ochrona Zabytków” 2006, nr 3, s. 5-28.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 393.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: pocz. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sulechowska 1, Trzebiechów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district zielonogórski, commune Trzebiechów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area