Ruins of the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Rząsiny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Ruins of the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rząsiny

photo

Ruins of a small village church incorporating elements of the Gothic and Renaissance styles, surrounded by a cemetery with a perimeter wall and gate.

History

First mentions of a church in this location date back to 1305, with its existence later confirmed in documents from 1376. The current building was probably erected in the second half of the 14th century, redesigned in the early 16th century and then in 1832. Unfortunately, in 1972 the church was lost to the blaze and was never reconstructed. Currently, the church remains in a state of permanent ruin.

Description

The church is situated in the central part of the village and surrounded by a cemetery. It was designed in the Late Gothic style, although it also incorporates Renaissance influences. The church is oriented towards the east. It is a stone structure following a single-nave layout. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a narrower chancel featuring a polygonal end section. Originally, the church featured tall roofs of the gable type. Its façades are made of exposed stone, with no plasterwork whatsoever, with the corners being accentuated with massive stone quoins. The tall windows are positioned inside splayed reveals, adorned with stone bar tracery and topped with semicircular arches. The northern façade features two entrances - one framed with a profiled portal topped with a semicircular arch, the other featuring a portal with a shouldered flat arch. The interior originally had a flat ceiling and galleries with painted balustrades (a subsequent addition); however, none of these features have survived to the present day. The chancel features a vaulted ceiling. The peripheral walls of the structure have survived in their entirety, as did the western gable and remnants of decorative stonework. The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall with a gate, extended towards the north during the 19th century. A Neoclassical mausoleum chapel stands in the north-western corner of the graveyard.

The building may only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 28-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. 2, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 300-302.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 759-760.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rząsiny
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Gryfów Śląski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area