Palace, Rząsiny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A palace the structure of which incorporates numerous surviving parts of an older manor house from the Renaissance period. Along with the surrounding manor farm buildings and the park, the palace constitutes an excellent example of the evolution of a Silesian nobleman’s house over the centuries.

History

The building was originally erected in the years 1494-99 for the von Talkenberg noble family, replacing an earlier residence which was lost to the blaze in 1476. It was later extended by Ramphold von Talkenberg in 1550 or thereabouts, attaining the form of a Renaissance manor house. During the centuries that followed, the building was redesigned on a number of occasions at the request of the von Schweinitz and von Schmettau families (18th century), attaining its current form of a palace somewhere around the year 1740. The palace underwent restoration in the early 20th century and in the years 1969-75, when the building was used as a holiday resort. Subsequent renovation works followed in the years 1989-91. The surrounding park was first established in the 18th century and was subsequently redesigned in 1810 and towards the end of the 19th century. The manor farm buildings also originate from the 19th century.

Description

The palace is situated in the central part of the village, north of the cluster of buildings forming the village proper. In its current form, the palace is an example of the Classicist style, with vestiges of its Renaissance past still clearly evident. The building is made of brick and stone. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a three-storey structure with a habitable attic, covered with a hip roof featuring a large wall dormer projecting from its western side, topped with a tympanum, as well as a few smaller dormers covered with mono-pitched rooflets of their own. The façades are covered with plaster and follow a six- and three-axial design respectively, with rusticated lesenes accentuating the corners. The ground floor section is likewise adorned with rustication. Remnants of the original sgraffito decorations which had once adorned the building can still be seen underneath the crumbling layers of plaster. The individual storeys are separated by flat bands, while a crowning cornice with a plain frieze below runs underneath the eaves. The front façade is preceded by a terraced portico with two pairs of columns, concealing the main entrance framed with a plain, eared portal. A pair of heraldic cartouches can be seen above the portico, between the storeys of the palace. The windows vary in size and proportions and are mostly rectangular in shape. A few of them still feature Renaissance-era surrounds, some of which are adorned with bas-reliefs. The ground floor section of the front façade features a single, large window topped with a segmental arch, while the wall dormer tympanum is enlivened by the presence of an oculus. An elongated vestibule is positioned along the axis of the building, featuring a vaulted ceiling of the groin type, resting upon decorative supports. Other ground floor rooms feature barrel vaults and cloister vaults with lunettes as well as flat ceilings adorned with decorative crown mouldings and plasterwork decorations. Other notable features include a number of preserved Renaissance portals with sumptuous decorations as well as the period interior doors made of wood. The armoury door from the 1st half of the 18th century is also a period item, its structure being reinforced with metal. Some of the interiors still feature period fireplace surrounds and wood panelling as well as traces of painted decorations.

The park, spreading to the north and the east of the palace, still features surviving traces of its original layout, with a formal garden, vegetable garden and a few ponds. The manor farm complex is situated west of the palace and consists of a number of structures clustered around a spacious, rectangular yard.

The building is in private hands and may only be explored upon prior appointment.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 07-05-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 299, 302
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 760.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: koniec XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rząsiny 73 a
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Gryfów Śląski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area