St Dorothy parish church, Rosochate Kościelne
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the few Gothic churches in the Podlaskie Voivodeship. It belongs to a group of late-Gothic, brick churches of the eastern Masovia, distinguished by a massive body, wide main nave, a towerless façade, stepped gables and unplastered façades. Despite reconstructions and repairs, the church has preserved its Gothic style.

History

The first, wooden church was founded around 1420 by founders of the village - John and Jacob. The existence of the parish was confirmed in 1458. The construction of the present temple, which began most probably in 1527 under the governance of the parish priest Serafin Świerżowski, was conducted in two phases: at first, the presbytery with a sacristy was erected, then the nave corpus. Works were completed around 1546. The church underwent multiple renovations, e.g. in 1690 and in 1775. In 1781, the roof, ceilings and interior decor burned down; gables of the east and west façades were most probably destroyed as well. The eastern gable was rebuilt and plastered in 1807 or 1853. During World War I, vaults of side naves were damaged by artillery cannons; post-war reconstruction was based on the design by Oskar Sosnowski (a gable of the west façade was rebuilt and an internal porch was delimited). The church burned down in 1944, but was rebuilt in the years 1946-1949 (among others, roof and truss). Between 1962 and 1963, Zbigniew Łoskot made figurative polychrome work in the interior.

Description

The church is located in the middle of the village, within the church cemetery; there is a wooden bell tower nearby; the church is oriented to the East. Late-Gothic.

A three-nave pseudo-basilica; a corpus on a rectangular plan with an equally tall and square-headed presbytery attached to it; at the presbytery’s northern wall, there is a two-storey sacristy founded on a rectangular plan; a low porch is located in front of the side entrance in the north façade. The main nave and the presbytery are covered with a common gable roof, linked with shed roofs of side naves; a sacristy is covered with a shed roof, while a side porch - with a gable roof.

The church is a brick building and has a roof covered with tiles. The ceiling over the main nave is wooden; sail vaults with stellar and lattice arrangement of stiffeners over side naves; barrel vaults in a sacristy; a stone floor.

Façades are made of red brick, unplastered - except for a side porch and the eastern gable, where details are white-plastered. The north façade includes a rhombic burr frieze. Corners have stepped buttresses; analogical buttresses are found between the façade axes. Over the facade, there is a stepped gable with pinnacles and simplified wimpergs. Window and door openings are slanted, finished with round arches and with plaster surrounds. Blind windows in gables (front, southern nave gable and eastern sacristy gable) in analogical shape, plastered.

The interior is divided into aisles by two rows of massive pillars connected by arcades; a pointed-arch rainbow. A Late Baroque choir gallery (18th/19th century) on a circle section plan; below, there is a tripartite porch, opening towards the nave through three semi-circular arcades. In side nave walls, below windows, a row of irregularly placed, semi-circular niches; in the eastern wall of the presbytery, there is a niche after a former tabernacle.

Equipment: a white marble plate over the entrance from the presbytery to the sacristy with the Półkozic coat of arms, dated 1546 (most probably the date of completion of construction), and the name of Serafin Świerżowski, a Rosochate parish priest; three stoups in a shape of a studded vase: one at the northern portal, Renaissance, marble, with an angel head (ca. mid-16th century), two at the main entrance, made of black marble (ca. 1895).

Accessible structure.

compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 06-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 9: Województwo łomżyńskie, z. 2: Ciechanowiec, Zambrów, Wysokie Mazowieckie i okolice, Warszawa 1986, s. 64-67, il. 4-6, 8, 9, 11, 12.
  • Kunkel Robert M., Architektura gotycka na Mazowszu, Warszawa 2006, s. 313-315.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1527-1546
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościelna 4, Rosochate Kościelne
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district wysokomazowiecki, commune Czyżew - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area