Manorial theatre, Pyszczyn
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Baroque manorial theatre.

History

  • 1783 - construction of the theatre
Description

The manorial theatre was erected in the immediate vicinity of the palace, inside the park. The entire complex is located in the middle of the village.

The theatre building, designed in the Classicist style, was erected in 1783 at the initiative of Joseph Maxymilian Matuschka-Topolczan von Spätgen. It is a brick and stone building with a low hip roof designed on a rectangular floor plan, its walls covered with plaster. The building can be divided into two distinct sections: the two-storey western section housing the stage and the trap room as well as the three-storey eastern section. The lower portion of the walls, designed to resemble a plinth, are adorned with horizontal grooves which give the ground floor section of the building a rusticated look. Both the northern and the southern façade feature a trio of blind archways in giant order, flanked by a pair of false arches which, instead of being an architectural element of the structure, are mere plasterwork imitations of such.

The Late Baroque form and decorations of the building are reminiscent of similar structures which were erected in Italy at the time. Despite the substantial level of damage done over the years, some parts of the original décor can also be seen inside the building.

The palace is located in the immediate vicinity of the theatre. The buildings are surrounded by a garden and park complex circumscribed by a stone wall.

Property of the Agricultural Property Agency (ANR). The site is inaccessible to visitors. The building may be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 11-02-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Statement of reasons for the Decision on the inscription of the cultural asset into the register of monuments no. 146/A/03 dated 10.02.2003

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pyszczyn
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Żarów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area