Complex of the Palace of Bishops, Przemyśl
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Complex of the Palace of Bishops

Przemyśl

photo

The complex, consisting of a palace, an outbuilding and a garden, represents an example of an urban palace complex with a high value on the regional scale that still performs its initial function.

History

The Palace of Bishops of the Latin Catholic Church was erected in the years 1751-1754 at the initiative of Bishop Wacław Hieronim Sierakowski. A compact complex, with a courtyard accentuated by two spacious outbuildings on the sides, was established along with the palace. The palace had preserved its form from the times of construction until 1865, when it underwent renovation and was extended upwards by a second floor, at the initiative of Bishop Monastyrski. Another reconstruction of the palace took place in 1895 by efforts of Bishop Łukasz Ostoja Solecki; at that time it was expanded by a garden tract and equipped with a chapel including an avant-corps. It was then the palace obtained external decor resembling the Classicist style. In the early 20th century, at the time of Bishop Józef Sebastian Pelczar, old outbuildings were replaced with a new outbuilding, a fencing was built in the west and the interiors were altered: staircases were reconstructed and a hall was distinguished in the vestibule. Probably at that time the garden was arranged in the area acquired after the demolition of outbuildings and relocating the entrance to the complex. In 1933 an open veranda on the garden side was enclosed by glazing the archways and the space between the piers. The Palace of Bishops still performs its initial function. The building houses administration of the Metropolitan Curia.

Description

The palace complex is located in the historical centre of Przemyśl, on the slope of the Castle Hill, directly neighbouring on the cathedral on its northern side.

The palace was located in the southern part of the complex; its front faces to the south and the cathedral. It was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with two back avant-corps in the north; its interior includes three longitudinal bays and three transverse bays and a spacious vestibule and stairs along the axis. The palace’s compact, two-storey body, with a basement extending under parts of the building, is covered with a hip roof over the main part and three-sloped roofs over avant-corps. The body’s axial arrangement is underlined at the front by a pediment (gable?). The palace is made mainly of brick and with an addition of stone on the ground floor, while the roof is covered with copper sheet.

The front façade is symmetrically arranged: it has seven axes, framed partitions and rows of rhythmically positioned windows on three storeys. The building’s axis is highlighted on the ground floor by a stone portal crowned with a niche hosting a figure of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a pediment with a tympanum holding insignia of powers of bishops, elevated above the crowning cornice. The ground floor is separated by a solid string course, on which bases of pilasters in the Giant Order rest, supported on the ground floor by pilasters with rustication; pilaster capitals carry the entablature with a pronounced crowning cornice. Windows on the ground floor are decorated with profiled surrounds with a keystone, windows on the first floor with window headers and sills with festoons, windows on the second floor with profiled surrounds with cornices under windows resting on decorative corbels and accentuated by strips of stuccowork. The five-axis east façade, with a slightly recessed extreme northern axis, was planned on an analogous scheme, similarly as the five-axis west façade, except for its extreme northern axis, in which a large chapel window dominates above the ground floor. The north façade facing to the garden includes two-axis, side avant-corps that repeat the decorative scheme of other façades. They constitute a frame for a three-axis loggia enclosed on three storeys, with an exit to the garden along the ground floor’s axis. The façade’s symmetry is broken by the chapel’s apse located in the western avant-corps. The preserved historic elements of the palace’s décor include: stuccowork on ceilings, decorative panelled parquets, old tile ovens and a wooden altar as well as painted decoration of walls and vaults in the chapel.

The outbuilding was erected north-west of the palace, on an L-shaped floor plan, with a chamfered south-eastern corner. It includes a two-bay interior layout of the south wing and a corridor arrangement of the east wing, with rectangular, two-storey bodies of both wings covered with gable roofs, with basements underneath. It was built of brick, while the roof was clad with roofing sheet during the last renovation. Two front façades, south and east, were uniformly arranged. The eight-axis south façade, a uniaxial, chamfered corner and the seven-axis east façade rest on a plinth; two storeys were separated by a string course and crowned with two strips of cornice with entablature; windows are framed by profiled surrounds with a surmounting keystone or cornice on the ground floor; on the first floor, the windows are alternately framed by profiled, chambranle surrounds and surrounds consisting of small pilasters connected by a simplified parapet motif. The entrance is framed by Ionic pilasters. The south façade was decorated in an analogous way. Gables and façades of the yard are devoid of decorations. Panelled parquet and five tile ovens have been preserved as the historic equipment. Established probably in the early 20th century, the palace garden has remained in residual form and now includes only a decorative flower pot and a small flower bed on the northern side of the palace, utility gardens located in the western part of the complex and compact plantings of coniferous trees at the wall fence on the northern and eastern side.

The border wall, demarcating the palace complex in the west, was erected in the early 20th century in the form of plastered solid brickwork with arcades crowned with the so-called Polish parapet with a decorative, S-shaped crest.

The site is partially available to visitors.

compiled by Mieczysław Kuś, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszow, 12-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Hauser L. Monografia Miasta Przemyśla, przemyśl 1991, s. 196
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Pałac biskupów obrz. łacińskiego, oprac: Z. Kostka-Bieńkowska, 2008 r. Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków Delegatury w Przemyślu
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Oficyna pałacu biskupiego ob. budynek administracyjny Kurii Metropolitalnej, oprac: Z. Kostka-Bieńkowska, 2008 r. Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków Delegatury w Przemyślu

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1751-1754
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pl. Katedralny 4a, Przemyśl
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district Przemyśl, commune Przemyśl
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area