Parish Evangelical-Augsburg Sophia's Church, Pokój
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Evangelical-Augsburg Sophia's Church

Pokój

photo

The church is an important components of the central urban layout established by Duke Karl Christian Erdmann. It is located on the axis of one of the eight avenues radiating from the circular square, where the palace of the Württemberg was originally located. The building has retained the original and stylistically uniform form, functional and spatial layout, and interior design.

History

The Evangelical commune owes the construction of the church in Pokój to duchess Sophia and duke Karl Christian Erdmann. In 1764, the design was entrusted by the duke to Georg Wilhelm Schirrmeister (architect of the currently nonexistent palace in Pokój) based on the permission of Frederick the Great. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1765, and the construction was led by master mason Döring and carpenter Joachim Krummeno. Rococo stucco work was made by Ernst Ferdinand Klose and Ernst Gottlieb Klose. The church was consecrated on 8 August 1775 and dedicated to duchess Sophia.

The church fixtures and fittings date from the last stage of work (1774-1775). The altar, baptismal font and organ are maintained in Rococo style, like the building itself. The organ from 1774 was made by Christian S. Puchert, organ builder from Oleśnica. In 1828, the instrument was extended to two manuals.

The church underwent renovations, among others, in 1849-1850 and 1901. In 2002, the church tower was restored. Recent renovations to the external walls were carried out in 2012. In 2010 and 2012, busts of composer Carl Maria von Weber and geographer, geologist and cartographer Ferdinand von Richthofen connected with Pokój were unveiled next to the church.

Description

The church is located on the axis of the central complex of Pokój, in its northern part, in an unfenced area. To the east, it adjoins an Evangelical cemetery. It was built on an ellipse-shaped plan on the east-west axis, with three square annexes: to the west and north these are porches with an entrance to a gallery, and to the east the church adjoins a sacristy with a library on the upper storey. To the south, there is a tower with an entrance to the founders' gallery. The building is a three-storey structure covered with hip roofs clad with roof tiles. The tower consisting of eight narrowing storeys is surmounted by a cupola.

Plastered façades were designed in Rococo style. The base course section separated by a cornice is divided by pilasters covered with rustication. In the upper part, the façades are divided by pilasters in giant order, crowned with Ionic capitals. The annexes are surmounted by triangular tympanums. The décor of the façades, adorned with stucco work, correspond to the windows of varied shape, enclosed in profiled surrounds, and divided-light windows. The windows on the ground floor are topped with a triple arch; the other ones with semicircular and segmental arches. The windows allowing light to the main body run through two storeys. The façades of the tower are divided into zones by profiled cornices and articulated with double pilasters. The tympanum contains the coat of arms of duke Karl Christian with the Order of the White Elephant, which is Denmark's highest-ranked honour, awarded to him. The façade also features a cartouche with the CCE (Carl Christian Erdmann) monogram and phylacteries with the initials "A.K" and the date "1901", referring to the renovation of the church. On the seventh storey of the tower, there is a lookout terrace. Over the crowning cornice, there is a clock with four faces. The cupola is surmounted by a flag with the date "1773".

The stylistically uniform Rococo interior of the church is maintained in bright colours. To the north and south, there are wooden two-storey galleries on pillars; to the west there is a choir. The south gallery, on the axis, is fitted with a founders' loge, which is glazed, decorated with lavish rocaille ornaments, and features a centrally placed coat of arms of the founder of the church. In the eastern part, there is a pulpit altar characteristic of Protestant churches. On both sides of the pulpit, there are paintings depicting the scenes of the Resurrection and Ascension made by Johann Georg Ernst, and in the top section and predella there are paintings of the Transfiguration and Last Supper by G.M. Beuthes. The sacristy features a portrait of duke Karl Christian Erdmann.

The church is in use and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 18-08-2014.

Bibliography

  • Balluseck, Beschreibung von Karlsruhe in Oberschlesien, bd.
  • Bimler K., Die neuklassische Bauschule in Schlesien, H. 2: Carlsruhe in Oberschlesien, Breslau 1930.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 11: Powiat opolski, prepared by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, S. Gumiński, A.M. Olszewski, Warsaw 1968, pp. 96-99.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1894, pp. 220-221.
  • Oblicza sztuki protestanckiej na Górnym Śląsku, prepared by E. Chojecka, Katowice 1993.
  • Rossa M., Der Park von Karlsruhe in Oberschlesien von 1748 bis heute und die Chronik Bad Carlsruhes als Kurort und Bad, Eschborn 2003.
  • Skaletz T., Karlsruhe in Oberschlesien. Ein Beitrag zur Geschichte fürstliche Baukunst des 18. Jahrhunderts, Danzig 1930.
  • Stumpe F., Führer durch Bad Carlsruhe OS., Schweidnitz 1927.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 691-692.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Pokój
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district namysłowski, commune Pokój
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area