Evangelical-Augsburg Cemetery, Pokój
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical-Augsburg Cemetery

Pokój

photo

The Evangelical cemetery was established as part of a newly founded urban complex. The necropolis features graves, among others, of the last owners of the estate from the Württemberg family, descendants of the founders of Carlsruhe. In addition to the layout, there are also preserved monuments featuring funerary art in the form of figurative sculptures, stelae, obelisks and plaques, among others.

History

Duke Karl Christian Erdmann, who founded Pokój (then Carlsruhe, modelled on Karlsruhe in the state of Baden-Württemberg) in the mid-18th century, like most of the first inhabitants of the village, was Evangelical. When designating the location of the future church (1765-1775) on the main axis of the central complex, beside it a parcel was designated for use as a cemetery, which was established in 1755.

Description

The cemetery is located east of the Sophia's Church, on a longitudinal plot of land. It is surrounded by a fence in the form of brick plastered posts with fence boards inserted between them. To the west, the gate is marked by statues of angels set on pillars. The layout of the quarters is discernible; the main alley runs along the cemetery with preserved old trees.

Gravestones from the 19th and 20th centuries were designed in classicist, Art Nouveau and modernist style. The cemetery features gravestones made of stone, wooden, cast iron, with ceramic inscription plaques. They have the form of stelae, lying slabs, crucifixes, obelisks, and figurative sculptures. There is also an oak trunk motif typical of the 19th/20th centuries.

The necropolis also features a Classicist gravestone of forest district manager Heinrich v. Burgsdorf (died 1806) and his wife authored by Johann Gottfried Schadow, with a stone sculpture of a woman standing beside a column. On a column with inscriptions there was an urn with a bas-relief bust of the deceased, which has not been preserved to this day. Gravestones often bear signatures of stonemasons from Namysłów.

Right next to the tomb of pastor Hugon Pudell (died 1976) and his wife Erna, there is a sculpture of Christ with a woman kneeling at his feet from 1911, signed by Fr. Brodauf. It comes from Dąbrówka Dolna, where it served as a monument in front of the parish church around 1930.

Due to the specifics of the material, the number of preserved monochrome, ceramic inscription plaques and plaques decorated with painted colourful vines decreases. They were installed on stone or cast iron gravestones. In addition to the gravestones, the cemetery also features iron fences, examples of blacksmith art, among others, in Art Nouveau forms.

Gravestones and the accompanying forged fence require renovation.

The cemetery is in use and is open to visitors.

compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 18-08-2014.

Bibliography

  • Bimler K., Die neuklassische Bauschule in Schlesien, H. 2: Carlsruhe in Oberschlesien, Breslau 1930.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler der Landkreise des Reg.-Bezirks Breslau, Breslau 1894.
  • Rossa M., Der Park von Karlsruhe in Oberschlesien von 1748 bis heute und die Chronik Bad Carlsruhes als Kurort und Bad, Eschborn 2003.
  • Skaletz T., Karlsruhe in Oberschlesien. Ein Beitrag zur Geschichte fürstliche Baukunst des 18. Jahrhunderts, Danzig 1930.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 691-692.

General information

  • Type: Evangelical cemetery
  • Chronology: 3 ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: 1 Maja , Pokój
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district namysłowski, commune Pokój
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area