Parish church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Lubsko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Lubsko

photo

Parish church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lubsko is the oldest monument of architecture in Lubsko. It was re-designed and renovated multiple times and has features of late-Romanesque, late-Gothic, and Renaissance style.

History

The church was built in approx. 1250 in the form of a three-nave basilica with a tower, covered with a barrel vault. Around one hundred years later, its chancel section was extended. During the reconstruction after a fire, in the years 1496-1517, the building was given a late-Gothic shape. The main body was extended to the north and transformed from the basilica layout to a hall layout. The eastern façade was closed with a stepped gable, and inside lierne and stellar vaulting was installed, as well as painted decorations with Biblical motifs were made. In the years 1526-1945, the church remained in the hands of Protestants. After a fire in 1597, the tower was topped with a Renaissance roof parapet. After 1615, a sacristy was added to the chancel. The church was renovated a couple of time, among other things during the 17th and the 19th century. In 1912, plasterwork was removed. The church underwent renovations in the 1970s and in the years 2004-2005.

Description

It is made of field stone, granite blocks and brick. It was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a rectangular chancel of the same width as the body, a sacristy from the north, and a tower west. It is a three-nave church with a hall layout, with a massive body covered with a high gable roof. The stout tower is topped with a roof parapet and a tented roof shaped as a pyramid. Annexes are covered with shed roofs. The interior of the four-bay main nave and the three-bay chancel is covered with a lierne vault. In the side naves that feature brick galleries, there are stellar and lierne vaults, in the sacristy - groin vaults, and in the porch of the tower - barrel vaults. Façades are not plastered and they are pierced with wide pointed-arch windows. The eastern façade is topped with a stepped gable with pinnacles, articulated with blind windows and crowned with a steeple. in the tower, there is a Romanesque stepped portal. Renaissance fittings have survived in the church - altars, ambo, and baptismal font. The eastern and southern wall and the pier by the ambo are covered with medieval painted decorations. In the tower, there is a bell from 1728.

The site is open to the public.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 18-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 77-78.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 205-206.
  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół parafialny pw. Nawiedzenia NMP, oprac. Janowska W., 1999 r, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: ok. poł. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wolności 2, Lubsko
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district żarski, commune Lubsko - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area