The Costermongers’ Tower, Lubań
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Costermongers’ Tower

Lubań

photo

A relic of the former town hall erected back in the 13th century and subsequently destroyed during the great fire which engulfed the town in the first half of the 16th century.

History

The building was most likely erected in the 14th century and formed part of the old town hall built between 1222 and 1225. The town hall was subsequently demolished following the great fire of 1487, with the site being sold by the town council to a private owner somewhere around 1540; however, the tower itself was left intact and was subsequently surrounded by newly built houses. In 1760, following the period of wartime hostilities which have left their mark on the town, the middle part of the market square was redeveloped, with the new buildings being designed with commerce and services in mind. However, most of these buildings were lost during World War II, their remnants demolished after 1945. Once again, the tower has managed to survive and was subsequently renovated both during the 1960s and in years 1975-1979. Towards the end of the 20th century, the tower was incorporated into a modern residential and commercial complex envisaged as a partial reconstruction of the cluster of buildings which had once stood in the middle of the market square.

Description

The tower forms part of the cluster of structures located in the middle of the market square. Designed on a square floor plan, its upper section is octagonal in shape, with the roof being of a simple, tented type. It is a brick and stone structures, its corners reinforced with regular basalt quoins. The segment-headed window openings are relatively small and arranged in an irregular pattern.

The interiors are inaccessible; the building may only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 417,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 507.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 28, Lubań
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lubański, commune Lubań (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area