Town hall, Lubań
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The building, constructed in a number of distinct phases, bears the hallmarks of both the Renaissance and Baroque styles, its design being the work of a renowned architect, Johann Linder. A example of an early modern patrician architecture in the Silesia region. A distinctive feature of this particular building is the lavishly designed stonework decoration.

History

Designed in years 1539-44 under the direction of Johan (Hans) Linder, the town hall replaced an earlier structure which had been sold by the municipal authorities to a private individual. Throughout the ages, the town hall had the misfortune of being destroyed by fire on a number of occasions, in the years 1659, 1670, 1696 and 1760. The town hall was reconstructed in the years 1760-69, although some sources indicate that the reconstruction only took place in 1783. The interiors underwent a redesign in both 1627 and in 1810; in the years 1828 and 1847, the town hall was restored, only to be partially destroyed in 1945. It was then rebuilt in the 1950s and the 1970s, with parts of its interiors being adapted to serve as the Regional Museum. The most recent renovation works took place in 2011.

Description

The building forms part of the south-western frontage of the Market Square and is situated at the spot where Bracka street opens up towards the said square. It is a three-storey brick and stone structure designed on a roughly L-shaped floor plan. The building consists of a wide main body and a narrow eastern wing, at the junction of which stands a tall tower with a square base and octagonal upper section of the shaft; the uppermost section of the tower is narrower, though also octagonal, and features a Baroque cupola with an arcaded openwork section. The main body of the town hall features an imposing avant-corps projecting from the southern façade and is covered with two parallel hip roofs, while the side wing features a single roof of the gable type. The façades are covered with plaster. The northern façade follows a ten-axial layout and features rectangular windows in stone surrounds, with the windows of the upper storeys being of the paired type. The ground floor section incorporates a pair of Renaissance portals dating back to 1543 and 1539 respectively as well as a clock surround made of sandstone, adorned with sumptuous arabesques, candelabrum ornaments and figural motifs. The south-western façade is graced by an 18th-century Baroque portal which was relocated here from the now-vanished Municipal Brickmason Academy. The ground floor section of the wing incorporates a gateway. A large patrician hall consisting of two distinct aisles can be found on the ground floor level of the main body of the building; the hall features a lierne vault supported by three octagonal pillars positioned in the middle of the hall. In addition, there is also the Council Hall and the western hall, both also featuring lierne vaulting; between these two large chambers lies a vestibule with a highly unusual vault whose contours are based on the use of circular segments designed as if they were drawn using a compass, featuring both straight and curved ribs. The Councillor Hall, featuring a barrel vault with lunettes, supported by three sturdy pillars, is located on the first floor, as is the so-called Royal Hall, dating back to 1627 and located in the rear suite of rooms; this room, currently used as the mayor’s office, features a trough vault with lunettes. Three Renaissance portals have been preserved in the rooms located both on the first and the second storey.

The site is accessible to visitors during the Regional Museum opening hours.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 417,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 506-507.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lubań
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lubański, commune Lubań (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area