Palace, Łażany
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Renaissance palace surrounded by a moat, located in the vicinity of the local church and the park.

History

The palace, designed in the Renaissance style, was erected for the von Nostitz family towards the end of the 16th century; in 1720, the building was redesigned in the Baroque style. Today, the building is in a state of ruin.

Description

The palace is surrounded by a moat, with the access path leading over a two-span stone bridge located north of the palace which has now partially collapsed. The entrance to the palace itself is accentuated by a decorative portal, a balcony and a heraldic cartouche of the von Burghauss noble family. The palace is a two-storey structure designed on a rectangular floor plan, its four wings surrounding a central courtyard. Apart from the single-bay northern wing, all the wings of the palace follow a two-bay layout, with a narrow hallway leading alongside the courtyard. The former vestibule is situated in the northern wing, while the remains of a Baroque staircase can still be found in the eastern wing of the palace. Some of the vaulted ceilings at the ground floor level have also survived to the present day. The façades are partitioned by Corinthian pilasters in giant order - a later, Baroque addition to the design. The Renaissance stone portal in the front façade is partially obscured by Baroque design flourishes which were added at a later date. Originally, the palace featured a tall, gable roof. During the clashes which took place in 1945, the palace was only damaged to a minimal extent. It is during the postwar period that the greatest damage was done, as the abandoned palace was gradually falling into a state of ruin.

The ruins are located in the north-western part of the village; access is inadvisable due to the poor overall technical condition.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 23-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Ciesielski T., Gmina Żarów. Monografia historyczna, Żarów 1993

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: koniec XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Łażany
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Żarów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area