Church, Łażany
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A rural church designed in the Gothic style.

History

The church in Łażany was erected somewhere around the year 1300, with the first mentions thereof in written sources appearing around the year 1335. In years 1553-1564, the temple served as an Evangelical church. The church was extended in 1569, as evidenced by the foundation plaque. Following its reconstruction after a fire which engulfed the building in 1641, the church underwent modernisation works in 1843, 1857, and 1913. The most recent renovation works took place in 1978.

Description

The church is a brick and stone, single-nave building with a rectangular chancel, lower than the nave; the church also features a sacristy, adjoining it to the south. The nave features a flat ceiling constructed in 1978, with the chancel being covered with an elliptical barrel vault; the sacristy features a flat, wooden ceiling. A tower featuring a pointed-arch, chamfered portal and covered with a tall hip roof adjoins the church to the west. The roofs of the chancel and the nave are of the gable type, clad with roof tiles. The main entrance into the church leads through the northern part of the nave. Above the door there is a plaque dating back to 1569, bearing an inscription which refers to the extension works performed at the time. Next to the plaque there is an embedded sundial. The eastern chancel façade features a double epitaph plaque commemorating Siegmnund von Mülheim and his wife (1553-94) as well as another, elaborate plaque created in the memory of Siegmund von Nostitz (1703). The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall.

The church may be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Ciesielski T., Gmina Żarów. Monografia historyczna, Żarów 1993

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: ok. 1300 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Łażany
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Żarów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area