Tetmajerówka manor house, Kraków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Tetmajerówka manor house

Kraków

photo

A wooden nobility manor house from 1862 in the village of Bronowice Małe near Cracow, associated with Włodzimierz Tetmajer and the works of the Young Poland period.

History

The village of Bronowice Małe, located 5 km to the north-west from the centre of Cracow, currently a part of the city, was established in 1294 under Magdeburg law by Reinhold, parish priest of the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Cracow. Over centuries, it remained part of the endowment of the St Mary church in Cracow. In the years 1853-1855, Franciscans from Cracow started to buy out peasants’ land, and in 1862, built a manor house with utility buildings. From 1855, the Franciscan manor farm was gradually liquidated through sales of land and buildings to the local peasants. In 1902, the post-Franciscan manor house along with utility buildings and a garden was bought from a peasant named Dzieża by the poet Włodzimierz Tetmajer, married to Anna Mikołajczykówna, daughter of a land owner from Bronowice. Tetmajer founded renovation of the manor house and utility buildings - stable, carriage house, and barn. By the utility buildings, he founded a brick painting atelier. To secure the decaying manor house, lower sections of the walls in the northern part were bricked, some wall elements were replaced, the roof truss and roof cladding were renovated, and new window surrounds in the western façade were installed. In the interior, wooden beamed ceilings were replaced by whitewashed ones, except for the old refectory, where the roof was reconstructed. The kitchen, originally located in the north-western corner of the building, was transformed into a residential room, and a new kitchen was arranged in an added wooden annex, adjoining the northern wall of the manor house. In 1923, Włodzimierz Tetmajer died, leaving his wife Anna with children in the manor house. Around 1934, the son-in-law of Anna Tetmajer, Jan Rybicki, husband of Tetmajer’s daughter Klementyna, bought the manor house with land from his mother-in-law. The whole complex remained a property of the family until 1945. After this year, the northern part of the land located on the back of the utility buildings was leased by Młynarczyk. In 1954 Anna Tetmajer died, and 1956, grand-daughter of Anna, daughter of Klementyna, Anna Klimczykowa, moved to the manor house at 36 Tetmajera St. In 1971, pursuant to the act regulating the ownership of agricultural farms, the northern part of the complex along with historical utility buildings and the painting atelier by Włodzimierz Tetmajer became a property of the Pętlak family. In 1991, as a result of many efforts, Elżbieta Konstanty, daughter of Anna Klimczykowa, regained the devastated utility buildings and the painting atelier of her great-grandfather. In 1993, all regained buildings were renovated and their former appearance was restored. The painting atelier of Tetmajer and his daughter, painter Jadwiga nee Tetmajer Naimska, was given back its former splendour. In 1991, the Włodzimierz Tetmajer Foundation was created to support the process of restoration of Polish culture monuments, promote Polish culture abroad, and support theatre and cinematography. A great-grandson of Włodzimierz Tetmajer, Marcin Konstanty, took the lead in the Management Board of the Foundation.

Description

The manor house, located on the southern slope of a hill, is built in the neo-classical style. It was erected on a rectangular floor plan. It is a single-storey building with a porch on the axis, over which there is a wall dormer. The building is covered by a säteri pediment and an abutment-half hip roof. From the north it is adjoined by a wooden, single-storey annex housing a kitchen and a utility hall, covered by a gable roof clad with wood shingles. The interior features a symmetrical, two-bay layout, with a hall on the axis from the east, and a small room located on its extension from the west. On the sides, from the north and south, there are two pairs of rooms. The wooden building has a log structure and its walls are tightened by clay and straw mortar. Its lower sections are partially bricked. The walls are whitewashed. The building is laid with wood shingles. The eastern (front) façade has five axes, on the central axis there is a wooden porch resting on four wooden columns. Above it, there is a wall dormer with one wide window, topped with a triangular gable. The windows are of eight-panel type and surrounded by wooden, flat frames. The southern (gable) façade is partitioned into two areas - the lower one, with three axes, and the upper one with two. The western façade, with a distinct difference in levels between the northern and the southern part of the house, has four axes. The northern façade is nearly entirely obscured by the adjoining kitchen annex. In the southern part of the house, within the front bay, there is a drawing room (former refectory), and in it, a whitewashed, classical fireplace and a wooden ceiling, with an inscription carved on a beam: SVB TUUM PRAESIDIUM CONFUGIMUS+AD-MCMIII+SANCTA DEI GENITRIX.

The utility buildings located near the manor house, from the north-east, are made of brick and covered with roof tiles. In the western part of the buildings, there is the painting atelier of Włodzimierz Tetmajer. The manor house is surrounded by a garden with an outline similar to a square, occupying a slope of a valley and partitioned by a small terrace. The access road is located in the south-eastern corner of the garden, from Tetmajera Street. The road runs upwards, in the direction of utility buildings, and on the hill it turns west, to the manor house, circumscribing a decorative flower lawn. In the nearest vicinity of the manor house, decorative shrubs are planted: lilacs, snowberries, jasmine, and single trees: ashes, elms, and a chestnut. In the upper terrace of the garden, there is an old orchard.

The complex is private property. Accessible from the outside.

compiled by Olga Dyba, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 29-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Dyba O., Bronowice - wokół tradycji. „Spotkania z zabytkami” 2000, nr 8.
  • Dyba O., Gaczoł A., Dwory. Wyd. Kluszczyński, Kraków 2004.
  • Waltoś S., Krajobraz „Wesela”. Kraków 1992.
  • Żyburtowicz Z., Najpiękniejsze dwory polskie. Warszawa 2004.
  • Omilanowska M., Polska. Pałace i dwory. Warszawa 2005.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 1862 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Tetmajera 36, Kraków
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district Kraków, commune Kraków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area