Manor house of the village administrator (the judge’s manor house) – house no. 24, Konradów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house of the village administrator (the judge’s manor house) – house no. 24

Konradów

photo

The building has a substantial research and historical value as an example of a manor house originally erected for the local village administrator (sołtys) and subsequently adapted as a residence of the local nobility. Today, it forms a representative example of the traditionalist variant of the local Baroque architecture in the Kłodzko Region. The building also possesses an outstanding artistic value, especially insofar as the stylistic unity of the overall shape and appearance of its façade is concerned.

History

The first mentions of the village of Konradów date back to the year 1346, when the village formed part of the domain which also encompassed the Karpień castle near Lądek (the so-called “Karpień mini-state”). In 1416, references were made to a judicial district (sędziostwo) in Konradów (a village administration unit which enjoyed some minor judicial rights). Once the so-called Karpień mini-state was abolished, the village of Karpień and the judicial district based there were incorporated into the Imperial domain. Later on, in 1684, the village was sold to the local nobility, followed by the judge’s manor in 1686; as a result, all of the local land was now unified in the hands of a single owner. Judicial manors - encompassing manor houses and farms - have always been highly coveted due to their excellent economic standing and the privileges they enjoyed. A manor house is likely to have existed in Konradów even before 1416; in 1653, the manor house and the accompanying grange were devoured by the flames. The current building was erected in the first quarter of the 18th century and incorporated fragments of an earlier structure which combined both residential and utility features. This is evidenced by the elongated shape of the building, the two-bay interior layout of a strictly utilitarian nature with no signs of opulence or grandeur as well as the irregular arrangement of windows and façade divisions. The manor house was remodelled in the spirit of the final phase of the Early Baroque period, as evidenced by the overall shape of the house, the articulation of the façade in the form of intersecting lines as well as the use of eared window surrounds and corner rustication consisting of quoins arranged in an alternating pattern. A Late Baroque portico with balcony, featuring a convexo-concave outline, was most likely added to the front façade in the fourth quarter of the 18th century; the portico was clearly inspired by the architecture of the grand country residences erected according to the principles of full-fledged Baroque design. The presence of a balustrade composed using a simplified version of the French ornamentation style known as the entre lacs et ovales is likewise clearly reminiscent of this type of architecture. In addition, a three-axial pseudo-avant-corps was added to the building’s front façade, at the level of the balcony. Rather than being a structural part of the building, this imitation of a popular architectural feature was simply superimposed on the original façade articulation. In the 4th quarter of the 18th century, the current portal was added - a Late Baroque design with outcurled volutes. During both of the phases referred to above, the alteration works were carried out by local builders, who demonstrated their strong attachment to the local building traditions. The artisans who crafted the portico and the balcony above as well as the new entrance portal have imbued them with a distinct folk Baroque flavour. The interiors of the manor house were redesigned during the 20th century, leading to the partial loss of their historic character.

Description

The judge’s manor house is located in the middle of the village. It is a masonry structure with a plaster finish. Erected on an elongated rectangular plan, the two-storey building follows a two-bay layout and is covered with a gable roof. A colonnaded portico with a balcony is positioned on the axis of the front façade. Its columns, positioned on a tall plinth, feature tapering shafts with capitals whose design is clearly reminiscent of Tuscan columns, supporting the entablature above. The balcony balustrade, separated into five sections by stout, rectangular posts, is positioned directly above the entablature. The individual segments of the balustrade feature rows of blind oval openings, lending it an appearance of an openwork structure despite being solid. The façades of the building are partitioned by intersecting lines of the profiled cornice running above the ground floor level and the similarly profiled crowning cornice on the one hand and the plain lesenes on the other. The corners of the structure are accentuated by means of rustication in the form of alternating quoins. The windows are framed with eared surrounds with window sills. The portal, positioned on the middle axis of the front façade, takes the form of a simple band with imposts at the archivolt base, topped with a round arch and adorned with a pair of volutes. The Neoclassical entrance door with overlight is a surviving period item.

The site is accessible all year round.

compiled by Iwona Rybka-Ceglecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 7-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Brzezicki S., Nielsen Ch., Grajewski G., Popp D. (ed.), Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Kögler J., Historische Beschreibung der Dorfschaften Neu Waltersdorf und Konradswalde, Vierteljahrschrift für Geschichte und Heimatkunde der Grafschaft Glatz, Bd. X, Habelschwerdt 1890/1891.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 1 ćw. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Konradów 24
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kłodzki, commune Lądek-Zdrój - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area