Filial church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Konradów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Konradów

photo

The church in Konradów is a representative example of Late Baroque architecture in the Kłodzko Region, exhibiting features of the traditionalist variant thereof. Despite being rather typical of its period and the region in which it is located, it also maintains a substantial artistic value, further enhanced by the presence of 19th-century painted decorations of its interior.

History

The first mention of Konradów in written sources dates back to 1346, while a parish is known to have existed in the village as early as 1366. The church itself was first referred to in 1404; during the period of the Reformation, it was taken over by the Protestants on three occasions - ca. 1558, 1567 and 1618. In 1591, the Protestants have erected a new church for themselves - a rather small, brick structure with a vaulted chancel but with no tower, its nave featuring a flat wooden ceiling above which rose a roof topped with a steeple. This church was ultimately reclaimed by the Catholics in 1623 and was subsequently renovated before 1631. During the 17th century, wooden galleries were added inside the nave, while in 1705, a pair of painters from Králíky - Carl and Philip Eichhorn - adorned with interiors with polychrome decorations. From 1737 onwards, the church in Konradów enjoys a parish church status. The present church was built in two stages. In 1786, a tower was added to the existing main body, while later on the main body itself was demolished and replaced by a new one in the years 1804-1806. The design was created by a man called Fels - an architect from Lądek, who also oversaw the construction process; other individuals involved in the construction of the church were Selink, a builder from Międzylesie, as well as Lonke, a carpenter. The church maintained a traditional layout with a vaulted chancel and a nave covered with a flat ceiling. A wooden organ gallery supported by slightly bulging pillar - a nod towards folk architecture - was likewise a traditional touch. Numerous solutions popularised in the early 18th century - including the uniform shape of the building, the semi-circular end section of the chancel and the presence of a chancel annex with a patrons’ gallery - have influenced the final appearance of the church. The concave shape of the walls of the nave alongside the rood arch, on the other hand, was a solution typical of the Middle Baroque period. The appearance of the façades is restrained to the point of austerity. The nave features a flat ceiling with a crown moulding - a feature typical of the late-18th century aesthetic. Despite the period of twenty years which has passed between the two phases of its construction, the church retained an admirable stylistic uniformity, its Late baroque forms appearing rather formal and rigid due to the early Neoclassical sensibilities which were already making their presence felt at this stage. The church remains an expression of staunch traditionalism in the architecture of the Kłodzko Region, where the Late Baroque traditions survived well into the 1840s. Some minor changes were introduced in the third quarter of the 19th century. The upper storey of the annex adjoining the chancel was redesigned, while a new, Historicist porch was added on the southern side of the church. The existing polychrome decorations of the interior - combining architectural and ornamental motifs and bearing the hallmarks of Baroque Revival style with Rococo Revival influences - date back to the late 19th century or the early 20th century.

Description

The filial church in Konradów is a masonry structure oriented towards the east, located in the middle of the village. The walls of the church are covered with plaster. The chancel is slightly narrower than the nave and features a semi-circular end section. The nave and the chancel are covered with a common roof. A two-storey annex with a sacristy and patrons’ gallery adjoins the southern side of the chancel. The five-storey tower is covered with a cupola with a roof lantern. The façades of the main body of the church are accentuated with simplified, decorative framing. They are topped with a profiled crowning cornice. The tower features an analogous design. The façade of the tower incorporates the main entrance portal - a stone structure with an archivolt following a basket-handle outline with keystone bearing the date 1786. The chancel features a barrel vault with lunettes, adorned with a plafond and decorative painted decorations in the Historicist and Baroque Revival style. Similar decorations are also applied to the window niches and the underside of the rood arch. A Baroque Revival balustrade of the patron’s gallery, adorned with painted decorations, can be seen inside the chancel. The nave houses a two-storey wooden organ gallery with solid parapets, its supporting structures including bulbous pillars. The organ gallery parapets and the interior of the nave are adorned with painted decorations incorporating both architectural and ornamental motifs, including painted pilasters and frieze running beneath the ceiling. The frieze and the panels on the pilaster shafts, the organ gallery parapets and the concave parts of the nave walls all feature a faux marble finish. The areas around the rood arch are adorned with various motifs, including an image of a king as well as ornamentation echoing that of the chancel. The fixtures and fittings include the Baroque main altarpiece (Michael Klahr the younger, 1751), a pair of Neoclassical side altarpieces dedicated to St John of Nepomuk and the Blessed Virgin Mary (Maria-Hilf, crafted by a carpenter from Radochów, 1805 and 1806), a pulpit designed in a mixture of Late Baroque and Rococo styles (created by a disciple of Klahr Joseph Forche from Lądek, 1786), a baptismal font (crafted by Weiß, a sculptor from Kłodzko - 18th century), the pipe organ casing (1726) and the Stations of the Cross (painted by Wilhelm Reinsch from Lądek - born 1832, died 1918).

The building is available all year round; interior tours upon prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Iwona Rybka-Ceglecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 04-09-2015.

Bibliography

  • Bach A., Urkundliche Kirchen-Geschichte der Grafschaft Glatz, Breslau 1841.
  • Berger A., Eine Übersicht über die Pfarreien und Kuratien der Grafschaft Glatz betreffend die Zeit von 1841-1946, Kirchlengen, Kreis Herford 1961.
  • Brzezicki S., Nielsen Ch., Grajewski G., Popp D. (ed.), Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Kögler J., Historische Beschreibung der Dorfschaften Neu Waltersdorf und Konradswalde, Vierteljahrschrift für Geschichte und Heimatkunde der Grafschaft Glatz, Band X, Habelschwerdt 1890/1891.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: początek XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Konradów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kłodzki, commune Lądek-Zdrój - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area