House no. 2, Kluczbork
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Baroque house with the roof ridge perpendicular to the market square. It constitutes an element of a complex of 18th-century huckster houses adjoining the town hall. The complex has not survived until today.

History

The fire that started in Kluczbork on 23-04-1737 destroyed a major part of the town. In 1752, the town hall was reconstructed. At that time, on its western side, twelve tenement houses with roof ridges set perpendicularly to the market square were built in two rows - only a small passage between the second and the third tenement house (counting from the town hall) was left. The buildings clustered by the town hall were used as huckster houses. Dwellers of Kluczbork called them “The Twelve Disciples”, because of their number and monumental character. Another fire (28-06-1925) destroyed to a significant extent the block of buildings at the town hall. Only the town hall and two nearest tenement houses survived at that time. The reconstruction works were completed in 1926, based on a design by Alfred Lenz. They were limited to the renovation of the preserved buildings in the Baroque style. In the place of burned tenement houses, a square was created with flower and shrub beds.

Description

Buildings Rynek no. 2 and 3 on the market square and the town hall form a compact block in the centre of the market square, shaped as a rectangle elongated along the east-west axis. The roof ridges of all three buildings are set perpendicularly to the market square and adjoin one another with the longer walls. They are of a three-bay type. Each of them has three storeys and is topped with a mansard roof. The façade of tenement house no. 2, added to the town hall from the west, is three-axial and accentuated with pilasters. In its plinth section, there are basement windows, a glazed door in the upper storey, and a semi-circular balcony resting on a volute-shaped corbel. The balcony is fitted with a wrought openwork balustrade. The gable (south) façade is four-axial. On the right axis of the ground floor, in a bricked-up window opening, there is a marble commemorative plaque. Rectangular window openings of the façades (northern and southern façade) are framed by profiled surround, with a semi-circular decorative panel beneath on the level of the first storey. The façades are articulated with cornices between storeys and a pronounced crowning cornice. The gables of the building are topped with volutes with pilasters flanking a small oculus. Above, there is a concave-convex pediment topped with an iron star. The original fittings of the tenement house have not survived.

The building is accessible to visitors.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 20-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 4: Powiat kluczborski, oprac. Chrzanowski T., Ciechanowiecki A., Warszawa 1958, s. 24.
  • Thullie C., Zabytki architektoniczne województw katowickiego i opolskiego. Przewodnik, Katowice 1969, s. 203.
  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, red. zbiorowa, Warszawa 2006, s. 410.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Ratusz, oprac. Szot J., 2007, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • http: www.kluczbork.pl/podstrony/historia.php

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 2, Kluczbork
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Kluczbork - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area