Bridge over the Młynówka Canal - Zabytek.pl
Kłodzko, Wita Stwosza
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. kłodzki, gm. Kłodzko-gmina miejska
The Gothic bridge over the Młynówka Canal was constructed in the years 1376-1390, replacing an older passage. Originally incorporated into the fortification system of the southern part of the town, it extended between the Upper Bridge Gate, already existing at the end of the 13th century, and the Lower Bridge Gate mentioned for the first time in 1469. In the 1st half of the 16th century, the gates were replaced with modern structures, modified in the years 1543-1544 by the construction master Jakub Adler. Eventually, the Upper Bridge Gate, incorporated into the town walls, gained the character of a three-storeyed gatehouse having a rectangular floor plan, containing a passageway covered with a vault, and topped with a ceramic gable roof. The arcaded Lower Bridge Gate restricted access to the bridge. Both gates were dismantled in the years 1903-1904. Starting from the 17th century, Baroque sculptures were placed on the bridge piers. In 1655, Johann Georg von Götzen and his wife founded a Pietà at the place where a chapel was to have been erected. A sculpture of St John Nepomucene was founded by Franz von Götzen at the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century. In 1714, a figural group of the Holy Trinity Crowning Mary (founded by Franz Ferdinand von Fitschen) and a figure of St Francis Xavier were added as a votive offering after an epidemic. The next sculptures were the Crucifixion group of 1734, founded by the von Herberstein family, and a figure of St Wenceslaus. The bridge was reinforced and renovated many times: in 1626, 1701, 1750, 1889, and 1974. The conservation and renovation works carried out in 2009 received an honourable mention in the “Well-preserved Historic Monument” competition organised by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. Conservation works on the sculptures were conducted in 1920, 1972, between 1979 and 1999, and in 2009.
The four-bay bridge made of crushed stone, ashlar, and brick, is supported by three piers reinforced with angle buttresses (cutwater). The round- and pointed-arched arcades of the bridge spans have slightly elevated rises; the northern arcade is narrower. On the buttress of the central pier (on the west side), there is a bay serving as the base of the chapel. The full bridge balustrade is covered with a stone parapet. The bridge deck is paved with setts. On the buttresses, there are six stone sculptures: Pietà form 1920 (?) on a Baroque plinth from 1655 (founded by Johann Georg von Götzen), the Holy Trinity Crowning Mary of 1714 (founded by Franz Ferdinand von Fitschen), St John Nepomucene from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries (founded by Franz von Götzen), a Crucifixion group from 1734 (founded by the von Herberstein family), St Francis Xavier — a copy of the sculpture from 1714 made in 1920 by Brunon Tschötschl, and St Wenceslaus from the 18th century.
The historic monument is accessible.
compiled by Beata Sebzda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wroclaw, 25-09-2014
- Broniewski T., Kłodzko. Śląsk w zabytkach sztuki, Wrocław 1970, s. 90-94.
- Brzezicki S., Nielsen Ch., Grajewski G., Popp D. (red.), Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 418.
- Eysymontt J., Studium historyczno-architektoniczne gotyckiego mostu w Kłodzku (woj. wrocławskie), Wrocław 1967 [mps w archiwum Oddziału Terenowego Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa we Wrocławiu].
- Gładkiewicz R. (red.), Kłodzko. Dzieje miasta, Kłodzko 1998, s. 51, 211-212.
- Mroczko T., Arszyński M., (red.), Architektura gotycka w Polsce, Warszawa 1995, t. 2, s. 107-108.
- Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warszawa 2005, s. 155.
- Staffa M. (red.), Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, t. 15: Kotlina kłodzka, Wrocław 1994, s. 235-236.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BL.21605, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BL.10187