Three middle-class tenement houses; currently the Dialogue of Cultures Museum, Kielce
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Three middle-class tenement houses; currently the Dialogue of Cultures Museum

Kielce

photo

Example of the development of the buildings in the market square in the 19th century, using the merging method and older buildings located on three properties (the oldest divisions are reminiscent of the original ones related to the location of the city); the vaulted interiors and the original part of the façade of the tenement house represents middle-class Late Baroque buildings of considerable architectural value; part of the façade being a replica documents a creative conservation method applied by the Germans during the occupation.

History

In the late 18th century, the site occupied by the current building of the Dialogue of Cultures Museum consisted of three properties which were merged into one whole only during World War 2.

The largest of them was the first property to the western, which was occupied by a severely damaged masonry tenement house of the Tomkiewicz family as early as in 1788. The tenement house was multi-storey and its arcades projected from the frontage. The layout of its outbuildings on the regulatory plan of Kielce dated 1823 indicates that it was created as a result of the merger of two older estates. In 1866, the house marked with address Rynek 4 belonged to Leokadia Bronikowska. In the 1870s, it was owned by doctor Wokulski who bequeathed “Dom pod Filarami” (English: “House under the Pillars”) to the Charitable Society of Kielce. The Society sold the property. Before World War 2, the property belonged to Helena Orentraich. The front parts of the two adjacent narrower properties were built up with tenement houses without arcades. The central property was occupied with a masonry multi-storey house erected by Piotr Wojciechowski between 1822 and 1824. In 1866, the property marked with address no. Rynek 5 belonged to Bronisława Przewalińska, and before World War 2 to the Dobrzański family. The third property, which is the first to the east, is occupied by a masonry multi-storey house erected by Michał Sawiczewski after 1803. In 1866, the property marked with address Rynek 6 was owned by Paweł Kazubiński. Just before World War 2, the then owners, the Zajączkowski family, extended the building upwardly by adding a further floor, thus the structure unfavourably dominated over the frontage of the market square.

During World War 2, the three tenement houses were merged by the Germans into one whole. At the request of the occupying authorities, the second floor of the tenement house owned by the Zajączkowski family and the internal outbuildings were demolished in order to create a large inner courtyard. The outbuildings facing Orla Street were altered by giving them an architectural form similar to the present one. Arcades and corresponding floor bays of the upper floor were added to two tenement houses. A new roof structure was built and the façades were unified. After the war, the National Municipal Council allocated a part of the building called “Pod Filarami” (English: “Under the Pillars”) in Partyzantów Street (market square) to the Świętokrzyskie Museum. The interiors were renovated and adapted for use as a museum. Between 1947 and 2006, part of the ground floor housed a public library (later the Provincial Library).

Description

The front building of the Museum was created as a result of the merger of three tenement houses; currently, in architectural terms, it constitutes one structure, and therefore it is described as such. Its silhouette occupies almost half of the northern frontage of the chartered city’s market. The frontage forms a shallow arch between two inlet streets: Warszawska Street and Kozia Street. The rectangular quarter of the built-up area is separated by Orla Street at the rear. The remaining two buildings located on both ends of the frontage are receded in relation to the building line, which is marked there by arcades supporting the upper storey of the building. The whole body of the structure is similar to a multi-storey cuboid covered with an inverted roof with angled planes (in the Polish roof style). The cloister-like walkway on the ground floor is open because of the use of seven arcades with basket-handle arches, supported by massive Tuscan columns. The ground floor features fourteen rhythmically spaced rectangular window openings. The entire structure is topped by a cornice under the eaves. The original western Late Baroque part with three arcades is distinguished by the faces framed by profiled archivolts with a decoratively accentuated keystone (in the form of a volute console) and windows of the upper floor adorned with decorative surrounds. The interior of the whole cloister-like walkway consists of one bay and is covered with a groin vault on arches. The building contains vaulted rooms in the basement and on the ground floor; access routes are adapted to the current museum function. Visitor access: The interiors are open to visitors during the museum opening hours.

compiled by Anna Adamczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kielce, 06-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet. Three tenement houses, currently the Dialogue of Cultures Museum, prepared by I. Boroch, Kielce 2014. Archives of the Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments for the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in Kielce and Archives of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Adamczyk J.L., Rynek w Kielcach. Przekształcenia przestrzenne i zabudowa mieszczańska Kielc lokacyjnych w XVII-XIX wieku, Kielce 1993, pp. 32-35 and 75-79.
  • Adamczyk J. L., Wróbel T., Portrety zabytków Kielc, Kielce 2004, p. 29.
  • Rosmanowska M., Kamienica pod Trzema Herbami - przeszłość i przyszłość, “Rocznik Muzeum Narodowego w Kielcach”, vol. 26, Kielce 2011, p. 103.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. 3, Województwo kieleckie, issue 4. Powiat kielecki, prepared by T. Przypkowski, Warszawa 1957, p. 40.

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: 1822-1824 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 3/4, Kielce
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district Kielce, commune Kielce
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area