House, former civil tribunal, currently a service building — the seat of Kielce Branch of the National Health Fund (NFZ) - Zabytek.pl
Kielce, Jana Pawła II 9
woj. świętokrzyskie, pow. m. Kielce, gm. Kielce-gmina miejska
The building was finished in the second half of the 19th century (probably according to the design by Franciszek Ksawery Kowalski of 1876); it was built using the substance of the building belonging to a seminary that was previously located there. It was intended for use as the seat of the Civil Tribunal, which was located in Kielce as early as in 1818. The building served this function until 1939. It is also likely that the building was erected in stages, which is evidenced by the different structural layout of part of the structure and basements under only some parts of the building. During World War II, occupants used the building as the town’s military headquarters (“Stadtkommandantur”). In later years, the building housed power distribution plant (Zakład Energetyczny), PSS Społem cooperative, again a court (Regional Court), and in 1998 it was adapted to the purposes of the then established Regional Sickness Fund. The building currently houses a branch of the National Health Fund (NFZ). The structure probably underwent minor repairs and adaptations to the new functions; inside there was no historical décor. The most extensive work took place between 1999 and 2000 and was connected with the adaptation for use as a Sickness Fund centre (according to the design by Włodzimierz Pedrycz) and in 2005 when adapting the attic for use as an office. The modernisations involved replacing or renovating damaged interior components (ceilings, roof truss, roof cladding, installations, joinery, floors, insulation). After the modernisations, the structure has retained its basic wall structure and appearance.
The plot of land occupied by the free-standing former tribunal building is located in the city centre and is part of the monument protection zone including Wzgórze Zamkowe (Castle Hill). It is adjacent to the Kielce Seminary to the north and city streets to the south and west (the site was previously occupied by Rogatka Krakowska); only part of the plot is fenced off. There are basements under some parts of the building. The building has two storeys and currently a loft covered with a gable roof. The structure is compact in shape, built on a rectangular floor plan, and features small avant-corps on the front façade. It is a wide-front building, basically comprising of two bays, with a hall located in the centre, which has stairs. The western and eastern façade facing the streets were carefully designed. The front (western) façade is decorated with neoclassical architectural elements including pilasters with capitals, cornices, and surrounds. Side avant-corps are distinguished by windows topped with semicircular arches and fitted with lavish Renaissance Revival surrounds, and the central avant-corps is additionally crowned with a tympanum; the ground floor features false rustication. The structure is built of brick (stone and stone and brick walls, arched vaults over the basements), features a wooden roof truss and steel reinforced concrete ceilings (at present). The façades are fully plastered and painted; and the roof is clad with flat galvanized sheet metal. The interior features the original two-and-a-half-bay layout (in the northern part) and two-bay layout (in the southern part); the last modernisation involved only the introduction of punctures and light partition walls. The preserved old interior fixtures and fittings include a cast iron railing on stairs and balconies.
The building is open to the public from the outside; the interior is open during the working hours of the National Health Fund facility.
compiled by Włodzimierz Pedrycz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kielce, 21-10-2014.
- Record sheet: - Civil Tribunal Building, prepared by E. Traczyński 2005 [Archives of Regional Monument Inspector for Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in Kielce and Archives of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw]
- Adamczyk A., Adaptacje i remonty kieleckich zabytków architektonicznych, in: “Renowacje i Zabytki” 2012, no. 44 (4/2012);
Category: residential building
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_26_BK.69129, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_26_BK.18869