Castle, Kędzierzyn-Koźle
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The castle building (of which only the cellars have survived) is the remain of a former castle complex, the seat of the dukes of Koźle at the beginning of the 14th century.

History

The dating of the site is imprecise. Probably, it was built during the reign of the dukes of Koźle (1316-1355) and then rebuilt after Johann von Oppersdorf leased the estate (1563-1584). However, according to register sheet of the castle complex, the east building was built in the 17th century.

Subsequent reconstructions took place in the 19th century. In the 20th century, the building was destroyed and has now assumed the form of a secured ruin which undergoes some conservation work.

Description

The edifices making up the castle complex were built in the north-west part of the old city, on a small hill. They are confined by Kraszewskiego Street from the north, Pamięci Sybiraków Street from the east and Konopnickiej Street from the south.

The structure referred to as the castle building (according to the register sheet of the castle, it is a storage or former granary) is located in the north-west part of the complex, in the area of the so-called upper castle. The adjacent defensive walls form its east façade. To the north, the building borders with a 19th-century tenement building, and to the west with the recently unearthed foundations of a residential tower belonging to the castle complex.

The castle building was erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan with a high basement featuring barrel vaulting. It was originally a two-storey building covered with a gable roof. Now, it is currently a secured ruin, and its interior is not accessible.

The structure is in a confined area. There is no access to it.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 18-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 5: Powiat kozielski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965, s. 27.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - Zespół zamkowy, Kędzierzyn-Koźle, oprac. W. Żurakowski, 2005, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: XIV wiek
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kraszewskiego , Kędzierzyn-Koźle
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Kędzierzyn-Koźle
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area