Outer castle, former hospital, Kędzierzyn-Koźle
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Outer castle, former hospital

Kędzierzyn-Koźle

photo

Although seriously decrepit, the building is a reminder of the former castle complex.

History

Originally, the outer castle buildings marked a boundary between the castle and town and were made of wood. In the 15th century, during the Hussite Wars, the town was burned, and the destroyed castle remained uninhabited for some time. Not earlier than in the 2nd half of the 16th century, when the town was owned by the Oppersdorfs, some restoration work was carried out in the castle. The reconstruction also covered the outer castle complex. In the years 1563-84, the wooden structures were replaced by stone buildings.

In 1807 the outer castle buildings were converted into a garrison hospital, and after the liquidation of Koźle Fortress they served a variety of functions, e.g. office and storage space. Today the site is unused.

Description

The outer castle buildings sit in the north-west part of the old town of Koźle, on the route between the former castle (to the north) and the Parish Church of St Sigismund (to the south-east). One of the wings is located near Konopnickiej Street, and the other one is parallel to Pamięci Sybiraków Street.

The outer castle complex is built on an irregularly-shaped plan, approximating the letter “L”. It is made up of two brick, plastered, rectangular buildings closing the yard from the south and east. The buildings are two-storey structures, partly rested on high, vaulted cellars. Their corners are supported by heavy buttresses reaching up to the first floor. The buildings have gable roofs with semicircular attic windows.

The smooth façades are articulated by rectangular window openings, yet they lack in regularity. The internal layout underwent multiple transformations. Only the south-east corner reveals a rectangular chamber of a partially preserved Renaissance character. It has a barrel vault with lunettes decorated with geometric stuccowork and a medallion with a representation of a hand wielding a sword. Today the site is unused.

The monument is available to visitors from outside.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 22-07-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 5: Powiat kozielski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1965, s. 27-28.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - Zespół zamkowy, Kędzierzyn-Koźle, oprac. W. Żurakowski, 2005 r., Arch. WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: castle
  • Chronology: 1563-1584
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kędzierzyn-Koźle
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Kędzierzyn-Koźle
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area