Filial church of St Martin, Iwiny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of St Martin

Iwiny

photo

A rural church designed in the Gothic style, dating back to the 15th century and subsequently redesigned in the 19th century. The church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall.

History

The church was erected during the 15th century. Following a comprehensive Gothic Revival redesign in 1872, the church was renovated in 1955 as well as in the 1990s.

Description

The church is situated in the central part of the village; it is surrounded by a cemetery. It is a Gothic building with some Gothic Revival elements, oriented towards the east, with its individual sections being clustered around its single nave in an additive fashion. The church is made of split stone with some brick additions. The building consists of the nave designed on a rectangular floor plan as well as of a narrower, rectangular chancel; both sections of the church feature gable roofs. A tower designed on a square floor plan adjoins the church to the west; it is crowned with a tall pyramid roof. The chancel is flanked by two identical annexes to the north and the south, covered by separate mono-pitched roofs. The façades of the church feature a plaster finish; the main body of the church and its chancel feature decorative gables with a stepped silhouette. The uppermost storey of the tower is adorned with lesenes positioned at its corners as well as by an arcaded frieze below the crowning cornice. Several stone epitaph plaques from the Renaissance period (years 1578-1618) are embedded in the walls of the main body of the church as well as in those of the tower. The main entrance into the church is positioned in the ground floor section of the tower, framed with a pointed-arch portal and protected by a small roof projecting ahead of the wall, which is an entirely modern addition. The windows are topped with semicircular arches and feature splayed reveals. The annex windows are comparably small and are either rectangular in shape or topped with segmental arches. The chancel features a cross-rib vault, with a flat ceiling being used for the nave.

The church is accessible to visitors and may be visited during church service. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, pp. 217-218, 220.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Iwiny
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area