Manor house, Iwiny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Late Baroque manor house erected in 1757 and extended during the second half of the 19th century. An excellent example of a medium-sized 18th-century nobleman’s country home in the Lower Silesia region.

History

The building was constructed back in 1757, most likely at the initiative of Siegmund von Frankenberg; it is believed that the manor house may have superseded an even older building, parts of the walls of which may have been incorporated into the new structure. In the second half of the 19th century, the mansion received its western annex, erected at the request of its erstwhile owners, the von Foerster family. In the second half of 20th century, the mansion served as an office building of the nearby State Agricultural Holding (PGR) and as a school. Today, the palace is a multi-family residential building. It underwent restoration in 1964 and in the years 1996-1997. The structure is in very good technical condition.

Description

The building is situated in the southern part of the village; it was designed on a rectangular floor plan, with an annex to the west designed to resemble an avant-corps. Designed in the Late Baroque style with Classicist influences, it is a two-storey brick and stone structure with a converted attic. It has a compact, cuboid body covered with a mansard roof clad with ceramic tiles, its surfaces enlivened by the presence of dormer windows. The façades are covered with plaster and follow a seven-axial layout; the front façade is also adorned with giant order pilasters. The entrance in the middle of the front façade is topped with a basket-handle arch and framed by a portal with a pronounced keystone. The rectangular window openings are adorned with profiled surrounds. The interiors follow a three-bay layout; the vestibule features a flattened barrel vault with lunettes, linked with a staircase leading through a tunnel-shaped passage. Some of the ground floor rooms also feature vaulted ceilings.

The manor house is surrounded by a park with a surface area of approximately 4 hectares, partially destroyed in 1967 during the disaster caused by the flotation tailings disposal pond operated by the nearby “Konrad” copper mine.

The building is the property of a local housing cooperative and may only be explored upon prior appointment.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 22-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 331.
  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, p. 221.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Iwiny
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district bolesławiecki, commune Warta Bolesławiecka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area