Lewińska Gate tower, Grodków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The Lewińska Tower is one of two (originally four) preserved gate towers of Grodków. Built in the first half of the 14th century and transformed about 1600 has preserved both Gothic and Renaissance architectural traits. The structure dominates over the townscape.

History

The town of Grodków was founded in the mid-13th century. In 1344 it became the property of the bishops of Wrocław and was named capital of the Duchy of Grodków. During the rule of Bishop Przecław of Pogorzela, four gate towers were erected, including, the Lewińska Gate tower located on the east side of the walls. About 1600, the tower was raised and a Renaissance attic was added. Further works on the structure were held in 1866 and in the 20th century. The last renovation finished in 2009 when, among others, the damaged attic was repaired and the internal staircase was restored.

Description

The Lewińska Tower dominates the eastern part of the town; it stands in Elsnera Street, along the city wall perimeter. It is built of brick and plastered in the Renaissance period. It is set on a rectangular, almost square floor plan. In the ground level, there is a pointed-arch passage on the east-west axis. The passage surrounds and tower corners are decorated with rustication. In the lower level, the north and south façades are merged with the urban buildings, and a dominant component of the east and west façades is a pointed-arch opening. Moreover, the west façade contains a pointed-arch blind window with a reconstructed harrow. The upper levels contain window openings: portholes in the lower section and segment-headed in the upper one. Additionally, on the north side, there is a small, rusticated toilet bay resting on two consoles. The tower is topped with an elaborate attic made up of pilasters, triangular gables, and quarter-circle elements. According to the literature, in the 19th century, one of the tower walls still bore an inscription with the date and name of Johannes. During the 2009 renovation, the ceilings of all storeys were restored and a new roofing was made at the attic level. The entrance to the tower is located at the height of the first ceiling, through a hatch for a ladder.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 14-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 3: Powiat grodkowski, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1964, s. 22.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury - Wieża dawnej bramy Lewińskiej, oprac. D. Stoces, Arch. WUOZ w Opolu, 2009.

General information

  • Type: defensive architecture
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: J. Elsnera , Grodków
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Grodków - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area