St Martin Church, Gogołów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Gothic church redesigned in the Baroque style, surrounded by an old cemetery.

History

  • 1219 - first mentions of a church in Gogołów
  • 15th century - construction of the church
  • 1538 - extension of the church at the request of the von Nostitz family (southern chapel)
  • 18th century - Baroque redesign (southern annex adjoining the nave and chapel)
  • 1877 — renovation
  • 1959 — renovation
  • 1964 — renovation
  • 2012/2013 - restoration after fire damage to the interior
Description

The church is located on a small hill in the eastern part of the village, by the road leading from the Tąpadła pass towards Świdnica.

The first mentions of local Romanesque church date back to 1219, with the current, Gothic church being erected in the 15th century. In 1538, the church was extended through the addition of a southern chapel at the request of the von Nostitz family, who also provided the necessary funds. In the 18th century, the church was redesigned in the Baroque style and received the southern annex adjoining the nave and the chapel. The church was subsequently renovated in years 1877. 1959 and 1964. A fire broke out inside the church in 2012, although no major damage was caused. In 2013, the church underwent restoration works.

The church is a single-nave structure designed on a rectangular floor plan. The nave features a wooden ceiling supported by a pair of crossbeams. The nave is adjoined by a rectangular chancel to the east, featuring a groin vault. A sacristy with a vaulted ceiling of the barrel type adjoins the chancel to the north. The nave is adjoined by the southern chapel, erected in 1538 and opening towards the interior of the church in a series of semi-circular arches. The nave and the chapel are adjoined by the southern annex, added during the 18th century, while the northern façade of the church is abutted by a porch. The church also features a Late Gothic rood arch. The sacristy is accessible through a stone portal.

The building is covered with a gable roof clad with sheet metal. Above the nave there is an octagonal steeple crowned with a slender spire.

The fixtures and fittings of the church include the Late Baroque main altarpiece incorporating the painting of St Martin, a Late Renaissance side altarpiece as well as a Late Gothic sculpture of the Virgin Mary with Child. Other notable features include the pulpit, the altar and the Renaissance epitaph plaques.

Next to the church there is an old cemetery (no longer in use), surrounded by a stone wall with a small gate.

The church is usually closed; it may be viewed from the outside without limitations, while its interiors may be explored before or after church service.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 29-01-2015.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Gogołów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Świdnica
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area