Palace, Drwalewice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The palace in Drwalewice represents Gothic Revival residential architecture, with preserved relics of a Renaissance defensive manor and elements of Classicist re-designing of the complex. Together with the landscape park surrounding it and the manor farm complex, it constitutes a valuable historical site.

History

The first residence in Drwalewice came into being approx. in mid-16th century and was probably funded by the von Unruh family. It was a defensive manor house of which relics in the basement section of the current palace have survived. The estate changed its owners many times, and the residence was modernised and re-designed, among other things in 1791 - groin vaults on the ground floor come from that time. The present, neo-Gothic form of the palace is a result of the renovation carried out in approx. 1875, when the building was owned by the von Eichmann family who administered the estate until 1945. At that time, the palace was extended by a tower, loggias, and annexes, and the entire building was modernised. After the World War II, a State Agricultural Holding (PGR) was established in the estate, and the palace was adapted for residential purposes. The building underwent renovation works in the 1960s and 1980s. Currently, it is a private property.

Description

The palace is located in the western part of the village, its front façade faces west, the direction in which the manor farm complex is located. From the east, it is surrounded by a landscape park. The residential part is separated from the utility yard with livestock buildings by an asphalt road. The complex is surrounded by a mesh fence. The building has neo-Gothic features with surviving relics of a Renaissance defensive manor house and elements from the period in which the estate was re-designed in the Classicist style. The palace is made of brick and stone. It is built on a floor plan of an irregular quadrilateral with numerous annexes. On the northern side, there is a tower built on a square floor plan, which is octagonal in the upper section, and a loggia over which there is a terrace. The southern façade is adjoined by two quadrangular annexes. There is also an annex at the south-western corner, with a terrace on the second floor. The highly partitioned, two-storey body with a mezzanine is covered with a flat roof. Windows of the lower storey are rectangular, and in the upper section, they feature pointed arches. The façades are plastered and topped with a crenellation cornice. The central part of the front façade is accentuated by a portal and a balcony over it, resting on supports shaped as gryphons. Above, a coat of arms cartouche is embedded in the wall. In the tripartite, two-bay interior, the hall occupying its middle part, covered with a decorative wooden roof, is worth particular attention. Deep within the building, it is formed as a three-nave cloister covered with a groin vault resting on piers. In the upper section of the basements, there are surviving relics of a Renaissance manor house.

Limited access to the historic monument. Private property.

compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 22-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Domagalska K. H., Drwalewice, [w:] Bielinis-Kopeć B (red.), Zamki, dwory i pałace województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2008, s. 94-96.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 91.
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom II, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 285-286.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Drwalewice
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Kożuchów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area