Observation tower, Dobromierz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A tower commemorating the battle of Dobromierz (1745).

History

The history of the building is linked to the Second Silesian War (1744-1745) between Austria and Prussia, both of which wanted to maintain control over the Silesian territories. On June 4, 1745, the Prussian armies waged a victorious battle in the fields between Dobromierz and Strzegom. The observation tower, consecrated in 1852, was erected to celebrate the 100th anniversary of this battle. The tower was erected on the site of the former gallows (hence the old name of the mountain - Galgenberg, or Gallows Hill). In years 1877-1879, the tower was extended upwards and thoroughly redesigned under the supervision of Johann Bogislaw Lüdecke, who reimagined the structure in the Gothic Revival style; it is in this altered form that the tower has survived to the present times.

Description

Built using locally quarried granite and brick, the tower consists of an octagonal shaft with an observation deck on top, accessible by means of cast iron stairs, as well as the arcaded ground floor level, wider than the tower shaft and also designed on an octagonal plan. The corners of both the tower and the arcaded ground floor section are supported by buttresses; the use of the pointed arch and stained glass windows is an evident nod to ecclesiastical architecture. The terraces above the arcaded walkway and on top of the tower itself are surrounded by crenellated parapets.

Originally, a tavern and a shooting range were both available in the tower’s immediate vicinity, while the surrounding greenery and alleys were all carefully planned out by landscape designers. After 1945, however, all these amenities have fallen into disuse, so that very little traces of them can be seen today.

The tower can be viewed from the outside. The interior of the tower is inaccessible and currently houses a mobile telephone network transmitter.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 06-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 10, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2005
  • Dobesz J., Śląskie pomniki patriotyczne Karola Lüdecke, [in:] Materiały do studiów nad sztuką XIX wieku, tom I, Pomniki w XIX wieku, red. J. Brendel, Poznań 1993, pp. 107-114.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1852 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dobromierz
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Dobromierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area