Church of St Peter and Paul, Dobromierz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Peter and Paul

Dobromierz

photo

An Evangelical church designed in the Classicist style, created by the Berlin construction deputation headed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel.

History

In 1827, the old town hall which was used as a house of prayer by the local Evangelical community was lost to the blaze. Soon afterwards, the Evangelica parish received a design for a church to be erected on a plot of land donated by the municipal authorities for that purpose. The main body of the church was erected in years 1828-1829, with the consecration taking place on 29 XI 1829. The tower was completed slightly later, in 1832. The church underwent restoration in years 1972-1973 following the takeover thereof by the local Roman Catholic parish.

Description

The church was designed on a rectangular floor plan; it is covered with a three-sloped roof clad with roof tiles. A brick tower designed on a square floor plan adjoins the southern side of the church; it is positioned on the axis of the church and features an octagonal top section crowned with a tented roof. The façades of the church are covered with plaster and feature a decorative rusticated pattern; the walls are pierced with tall windows topped with semicircular arches - a characteristic features of Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s designs for Evangelical and Catholic churches alike. The interior décor is rather austere in appearance and features galleries supported by sturdy pillars; originally, these galleries were connected to the now-defunct altarpiece with an integrated pulpit.

The church may be admired from the outside.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 06-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 19, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2004
  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
  • Grundmann G., Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Lebenswerk. Bd. 3, Schlesien [Schinkel in Schlesien], Berlin 1941.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warsaw 2005

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dobromierz
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Dobromierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area