Roman Catholic church, parish of St Hedwig - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. wschowski, gm. Wschowa-obszar wiejski
The oldest reference to a parish in the village of Dembowalanka comes from 1427, where the first parish priest know by name - Jan - worked here. The church came into being in the 15th century, and in 1514, it was dedicated to St Catherine. In the period of Reformation, years 1564-1610, it was in the hands of Protestants. It was extended at that time by Baltazar Ossowski and Ludwik Krzycki. After the church had been handed over to Catholics, it was dedicated, in 1619, to St Hedwig. It was renovated a couple of times: in 1825, a full-scale renovation after collapsing of the chancel arch wall was carried out; in 1830, roof cladding was replaced; in the years 1897-1899 wood shingles were replaced with beaver tail tiles.
The church is located in the heart of the village, at the fork of the roads to Wschowa and Osowa Sień. On the southern side, along the fence, there is a wooden gatehouse-belfry dated to 1793. The Gothic church is oriented, of single-nave type, with a separated, slightly narrower chancel ending in a semi-hexagon. The chancel is adjoined from the north by a sacristy and the nave - by a porch added in the place of an earlier wooden one. The corners and the northern and southern wall of the nave are reinforced with stepped buttresses. The nave body is covered with a high gable roof, framed from the west by a gable with pinnacles. In the roof ridge, there is a small steeple. The chancel is covered with a multi-pitched roof whose northern plane extends over the low sacristy. Over the porch, there is a shed roof. The church is made of brick laid in the Polish bond, its roofs are clad in beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern. Fragments of brick façades feature a plaster finish. The main entrance is located on the axis of the western façade and features a pointed-arch portal circumscribed by a surround of projecting bricks which form a pointed-arch arcade. The gable is partitioned with plastered blind windows in the pyramid-like layout. Other façades are articulated with the buttresses mentioned above and, except for the windowless northern wall, with window openings. Both the windows as well as deep splayed reveals in which they are placed, are topped with pointed arches. Niches and their surrounds are plastered. Inside, there are surviving Baroque fittings from the 17th and the 18th century: main altarpiece with a sculpture of the Christ on the Cross and a painting depicting St Hedwig, as well as ambo resting on a post with foliate decoration. In addition, there is also a Gothic sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary with Child from the mid-15th century in the church, as well as a Renaissance tombstone of the village owner, Albert Ossowski, who died in 1572. Side altars were created in 1825, and pipe organ casing comes from the mid-20th century.
The building is available all year round and may be visited upon prior appointment.
compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 09-12-2014.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 322-323.
- Karat ewidencyjna, Kościół par. pw. św. Jadwigi, oprac. A. P. Buchalscy, 1986, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.34840