Church bell tower, Dębowa Łęka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The wooden bell tower is an important supplementation of the church architecture.

History

The bell tower by the church in Dębowa Łęka was referenced for the first time in 1777, in a document in which a church inspector ordered renovation of the church. At that time, the church required a full-scale renovation, while the bell tower, built probably using the wattle-and-daub technique, was in a good condition. During the re-designing in 1793, some beams were re-used. The bell comes from 1460. In the interwar period, two other bells hung next to it, bought after World War I, dedicated to St Hedwig and St Joseph.

Description

The bell tower is located on the southern part of the church, within the stone walls circumscribing the former church cemetery. The tower has a post-and-beam structure; it stands on a brick foundation. Its walls are covered with vertical weatherboards. Its tented roof is clad in sheet metal. On the axis, there is a driveway topped with a segmental arch, with two-leaf wooden doors. Inside, on a beam, there is a surviving signature of the carpenter, and date “1793”. The Gothic bell from 1460 bears an inscription, “O Rex glorie veni cum pace. Amen. Anno Christi MCCCCLX”.

Limited access to the historic building. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.

compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 15-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 322-323.
  • Krzyślak B., Dębowa Łęka woj. leszczyńskie. Kościół pw. św. Jadwigi. Studium historyczno-architektoniczne, Poznań 1984, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze.

General information

  • Type: belfry
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Dębowa Łęka
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district wschowski, commune Wschowa - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area