Parish church of St John, Bukowiec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St John

Bukowiec

photo

A church accompanied by a pastor’s house, originally designed as an Evangelical church and erected back in the second half of the 18th century. A fascinating example of ecclesiastical Baroque architecture in Silesia.

History

Built in 1782 on the basis of the design produced by Franz Anton Fliegel from Twardocice, the church was most likely designed to replace an earlier, wooden house of prayer erected in 1728. The church was restored in 1841 but has fallen into disuse after 1945. It was later restored in years 1973-74 and began to serve the newly founded Roman Catholic parish.

Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village. The church is oriented towards the east; it is an aisleless building designed in the Baroque style. It is made of brick and stone. The body of the church consists of a wide main body designed on a rectangular floor plan as well as a shorter, two-storey wing serving as the pastor’s house, featuring a tall, two-storey attic. The pastor’s house adjoins the southern side of the otherwise indistinct chancel section of the church at a right angle. The building is topped with a half-hip roof with two slopes on its longer sides, with dormer windows piercing the surface of the roof above the residential wing. The surfaces of the roofs are clad with slate and sheet metal. The façades feature a plaster finish with decorative framing; the individual storeys are divided with plain plaster strips. The western gable of the main body of the church features a volute-shaped coping with ornamental sandstone urns at the corners, separated from the rest of the façade by a profiled cornice and a narrow skirt roof. The windows of the church are elongated, topped with semicircular arches and adorned with stone surrounds, some of which feature decorative keystones. Some of the windows still feature the original wooden joinery and are divided into small panes. The windows of the pastor’s house are rectangular in shape and also feature decorative sandstone surrounds with window sills. The main entrance to the church, framed with a portal with a highly decorative, flamboyant outline and incorporating a massive keystone, is positioned on the middle axis of the western façade of the church. The western façade of the rectory features a portal with a transom light topped with a basket-handle arch. Inside, the church features a flat ceiling resting on sturdy pillars which had once also supported the now-defunct galleries.

The church may be visited during church service.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 28-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 5 Rudawy Janowickie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1998, pp. 73-75,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 169.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bukowiec
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Mysłakowice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area