Palace, Bronów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

An example of a palace exhibiting elements of various styles which reflect the history of its construction: Late Renaissance (interior layout), Late Baroque (façade divisions), Rococo and Classicism (drawing room décor) as well as Eclecticism (gables, herm pilasters and staircase).

History

The Baroque palace was erected in years 1660-1670 for the von Matuschka noble family, its two-bay interior layout with a central vestibule and a staircase in the vestibule corner bearing the hallmarks of the Late Renaissance design philosophy; somewhere around the year 1870, the palace was redesigned at the request of the von Mutius family, while a mere ten years later the extension works commissioned by Ernst von Mutius have commenced, with the façades being redesigned in the Renaissance Revival style. Having been abandoned in the 1960s, the palace has gradually fallen into a state of ruin.

Description

The palace was designed on a rectangular floor plan; it is a three-storey structure which was originally topped with a hip roof. Original barrel vaults with lunettes survive in the vestibule. The façades bear traces of Historicist detailing dating back to the redesign which took place during the 1880s. The ground floor section with its rusticated walls was designed to resemble a tall plinth, above which rises the upper section of the building, its façades accentuated with single pilasters throughout - with the exception of the corners, where dual pilasters are used instead. Both the front façade and the garden façade bear traces of colonnaded portals positioned on the axes of the central pseudo-avant-corps. The three-bay interior features a partially vaulted ground floor section as well as a central vestibule with a staircase in one of the corners. A two-storey, three-bay annex dating back to ca. 1880 adjoins the palace to the west, its dilapidated interiors containing traces of Historicist décor.

The ruined palace is surrounded by a landscape park.

The ruins are located in the centre of the village; access is unrestricted but inadvisable due to the poor overall technical condition.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 24-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 149.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Bronów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Dobromierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area