Tenement house, former management building of the Moes manufacturing plant - Zabytek.pl
Białystok, Świętego Rocha 3
woj. podlaskie, pow. Białystok, gm. Białystok
The historical value of the building stems from its links to the Moes family of factory owners from Choroszcz.
The structure was erected in the 1890s as an office building earmarked for the management of the company owned by August Moes, whose ventures, among others, included the factory of cord and broadcloth in Choroszcz. The building also housed a wholesale storage facility, additional offices and guest accommodation. During the interwar period, the tenement house was occupied by an outpatient clinic of the Health Care Fund, a printing house and various workshops. After World War II, the building was taken over by the State Treasury; initially, the edifice served as a railway hospital and then as a dermatological clinic; the tenement house was owned by the State Treasury until 2003. In 1974, the façade of the building underwent restoration. In 2009, the now-empty building was handed over to the municipal authorities with the intention of adapting it as the Centre for the Cooperation of Non-Governmental Organisations. Renovation works were also carried out in the years 2011-2012.
The tenement house forms part of the frontage of św. Rocha street, its roof ridge positioned in parallel to the street; it is situated in the centre of the city, near the junction of the Krakowska and św. Rocha streets. It was designed in the Renaissance Revival style, its overall form resembling that of an Early Renaissance Italian palazzo.
The building was designed on a rectangular floor plan as a two-storey structure with a basement. Its walls are made of ceramic brick and covered with plaster. Its gable roof is covered with sheet metal. The northern (main) façade follows a 14-axial layout; the walls of the lower storey feature decorative rustication applied to the space between the pronounced socle and the cornice running between the storeys; all façades of the structure are crowned with a modillion eaves cornice. The windows are rectangular in shape, with those on the central and outermost axes topped with semi-circular arches; a rectangular entrance is positioned on the second axis of the façade from Krakowska street. Apart from normal windows, the second storey of the tenement house also features a pair of French windows. The southern façade follows an eleven-axial layout with rustication on its lower level, rectangular windows and an entrance on the middle axis. The gable-end façades follow a four-axial layout with a rusticated lower section, with the windows positioned on the two middle axes on both levels topped with semi-circular arches. The interiors follow a three-bay layout; the staircases are of the three-flight type.
The historic monument can be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Grażyna Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 10-12-2014.
- Dolistowska M., W poszukiwaniu tożsamości miasta. Architektura i urbanistyka Białegostoku w latach 1795-1939, Białystok 2009, fig. p. 167.
- Lechowski A., Białystok. Przewodnik historyczny, Białystok [no year of issue stated], p. 526.
- Murawiejski J., Dawny Białystok, Białystok 1999, fig. 139.
Category: public building
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_20_BK.66956, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_20_BK.151481