Tourist House, Augustów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is the only tourist building in this part of the country, which was erected on the initiative of the Tourism Promotion League (pol. Liga Popierania Turystyki) in the 1930s. It is an outstanding example of modernist architecture. The building owes its unique historical value to its creator, architect Maciej Nowicki (researcher of his works Marta A. Urbańska stated that he combined the creative talent of Le Corbusier with the sensitivity of Frank Lloyd Wright, the two most important artists of modern architecture).

History

In 1936, a conference focused on the construction of the tourist house took place on the initiative of the Tourism Promotion League in Augustów. A part of the funds necessary to carry out the project were made available by resolution of the City Council. The White Mountain (Biała Góra) by the Necko Lake was selected as a location for the tourist house. The cost of the entire project was estimated at PLN 700,000. Some of the necessary funds were provided under a government subsidy. In October 1937, the company of D. Cieślik began construction of the tourist building designed by Eng. of Architecture Stanisława Nowicka, Maciej Nowicki and Władysław Stokowski. Construction work was completed in the spring of 1938, assembly and finishing continued until 9 February 1939. The “Tourist House” perfectly harmonised with the surrounding landscape was solemnly opened on 27 May 1939. The hotel corresponded to the contemporary standards (70 rooms with 100 beds, dancing hall, billiard tables, bridge rooms, own beach, garages, ample car park). The building was modernised in 1982 and after 2001. It was also renamed over time: “Hotel nad Jeziorami” (“Hotel by the Lakes” (1939), “Dom Turysty” (“Tourist House”), and currently it is known as “Zajazd Hetman” (“Hetman Inn”) .

Description

The “Tourist House” is located on the White Mountain, in the wooded area by the Necko Lake, in Sportowa Street, in the northern part of the city, close to the road to Suwalki. It is built of yellow fire brick, with the application of rough-stone cladding. The raftered roof truss is gabled; the rafters supported by purlins extend beyond the face of the wall. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a clear division into a hotel and a restaurant. The north-eastern facade was extended to provide space for an office. The entrance to the two-storey extension is located centrally. A light wavy roof, resting on tall and thin pillars, covers the entrance to the simple building with a rhythmic arrangement of windows. The effects of modernist simplicity and purity of form were also counteracted by covering a part of the facade with cladding consisting of coarse stones. Due to lack of funds the architects agreed to refrain from plastering the building. A long balcony, resting on concrete supports, projects from the north-western facade (on the side of the lake) on the first floor. The front facade of the building bears a memorial plaque dedicated to the memory of architect Maciej Nowicki. The plaque was funded by the residents of Augustów.

The monument is open to visitors.

Compiled by Iwona Górska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 03.10.2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Dom wycieczkowy, compiled by Oleszczuk A., Kodym M., 1986, Archive of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Białystok, Suwałki Regional Office.
  • Marzyński S., Nowe inwestycje turystyczne w Polsce, „Architektura i Budownictwo”, 1939, no. 4/5, pp. 27-30.
  • Batura W., Augustów, miasto królewskie, Augustów 2003, p. 47.
  • Szlaszyński Jarosław, Makowski Andrzej, Augustów. Monografia historyczna, Augustów 2007, pp. 457-458, 729.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1937-1939
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sportowa 1, Augustów
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district augustowski, commune Augustów (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area